SQL Server 2014 Live Today - Customers Moaning (1 Viewer)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:41
the 'tab' click event is triggered when you click on the page itself - a bit like the form detail click event.

To generate a click event on the tab, you need to place a transparent control - suggest a button - over the actual tab

Then in the click event for this button, use code to populate the subform(s) on that tab then setfocus to that tab

PiedPiper70

Registered User.
Local time
CJ_London. Very cunning idea but I was having trouble getting the buttons just right. So I had another go at Googling and found a simpler answer, which is to use the OnChange event of the tab control itself, then inspect the tabcontrol.value and that gives you the index number of the tab actually clicked.

This works fine but need to be careful in the future if shifting tabs around.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
good thinking:)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 19:41
For the systems. Looks like a great server.
Take a look at this and verify this is being used in some form for RT
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=255458
If there is a slightly different form of it, please post yours for us to consider.

For the programmer, consider this:
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=259139
Just in case there are pesky little processes that dare think they should have priority over Access.

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=247756
Another possible difference on the two servers could be the connection version number.
Probably grasping at straws for this one. However, if the code calls one version and has to resolve to a lesser value, it might make a difference.

My Citrix (clost to RT) guy had set up 2 virtual Application servers for running MS Office (including Access). When every other user logs in, it starts up in the other applicaition server. This reduces the resource load on any one application server.

Almost forgot this one!!!
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=254102
This is so minor, it could be overlooked. That said, it could make a huge difference between the two servers for a form opening.

This Saturday morning, I came in to run some test for my rule engine that works, but works slow. This will be on a new post. It will be a Missive but might be worth looking at. It will be in a New Post later this morning.

Last edited:

PiedPiper70

Registered User.
Local time
I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, and I thought I should bring you up to date.

The existing application using both an Access front end and Access back end has always worked well, even with roughly 100 users. It has become quite a large system with hundreds of forms and reports, many hundreds of queries and over 100 data tables, some with close to a million records. Despite that, it works fine, the system is fast enough, and the client is happy. However once the back end exceeded a GB in size we decided to convert the back end to SQL Server, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Unfortunately, try as we might, we could never get the speed of the most crucial part of the system to be fast enough.Thanks to the input from various contributors we have managed to get the response time down, on the fastest of 3 servers, to just about an acceptable level, but this is very borderline and we have no idea what effect 100 simultaneous users would have - as we can't test that.

And so we have taken a decision which I'm sure will surprise a lot of you, and it's this:- we are going to keep the existing system, but on a monthly basis we are going to archive data to keep the back end down to a manageable size. Archived files will be stored in such a way that they can be quickly and seemlessly restored with the users hardly noticing the short delay, if any. You can guess where the archive will be stored, yes, on the SQL server naturally.

As a rough guide we aim to keep the back end to below a Gig, and reckon that only 1 in a thousand requests will require pulling a record from the archive.

So that's the plan. If anyone would like to comment then please do. We may well return to this issue but for the time being we see this as the best approach in the short/medium term.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Please keep us informed.
B.T.W. there are many new Citrix free seminars popping up.
Citrix is claiming they have some new kind of small business license.
They also claim they will work on all smart phones.

There must be some reason Citrix stock and installed numbers are on the rise despite Remote Terminal being somewhat *free*.
My guess is that there is something to be gained from the efficiency and resource management.

It might be worth attending the seminar. It wouldn't be the first time Microsoft had some hidden or hard-to-find resouce govoner on a product.
They might even have a 90 day trial to see the difference.

On my HP Envy 3D Windows 7, I read and proved that Win 7 would not utilize memory above a few gigs. Windows 7 Enterprise unlocked my 16G RAM. The indepth analysis tool showed the added RAM usage and my complex 3D apps ran over twice as fast. Of course, the total mis-design of my HP Envy 3D laptop would over heat and crash, or create burn marks on wooden varnish. So, not even HP understood this kind of thing.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:41
On my HP Envy 3D Windows 7, I read and proved that Win 7 would not utilize memory above a few gigs. Windows 7 Enterprise unlocked my 16G RAM. The indepth analysis tool showed the added RAM usage and my complex 3D apps ran over twice as fast. Of course, the total mis-design of my HP Envy 3D laptop would over heat and crash, or create burn marks on wooden varnish. So, not even HP understood this kind of thing.

Do tell us more about this.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Yesterday, 21:41
This is totally irrelevant, and may not be at all helpful, but years ago we integrated with Quick Books using QODBC.

An extremely slow ODBC link.

What we did was run a series of queries on open and stored the results in our database, The point is, you don't have to wait a month to do your backup and could continuously spool data off the ACE tables.

Just a thought, and one I am interested in hearing back about.

PiedPiper70

Registered User.
Local time
Thales - just for your info I had previously written an archive system for this client but didn't use it at the time as we thought we were going to SQLServer. I just need to tidy it up a little and we're ready to go.

The code could run every day if we wanted but we just picked monthly as it seemed about right under the circumstances

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
A few years ago, I custom ordered the HP Envy 3D portable. It had 3D graphics screen, a then serious graphics card (for up to 6 monitors), a 1st Generation I7, and 4 GB of RAM. I had the RAM boosted to 16 to handle the projects. I also updated it to two hard drives.
It came with Windows 7. As a Microsoft partner, MAP, I had access to Windows 7 Enterprise for the upgrade.
After looking at several of the Benchmark tools, I chose one that gave a free 7 day trial. MSDN discussed that Windows 7 would only utilize about 3 G of RAM in the memory management. The various Windows 7 versions basically is a license to expand the use of RAM for virtual memory.
I ran the benchmark and in general that turned out to be true. Then ran the benchmark Then, upgraded to Windows 7 Enterprise. Then re-ran the benchmark again. Sure enough, the full amount of resources (esp RAM) were unlocked. Sorry, I can't remember where I posted the results on the HP Envy 3D site.

The real problem was HP. Even with the super expanded battery pack, the basic portable would only run for 12 minutes on battery. The battery and computer were so hot, it would burn through a pair of bluejeans. Leaving the extra large power-supply plugged in and using the 3D (shutter glasses) it would be too hot for a wood table with varnish. I sent it back to HP 3 times. Regardless of how it was described or the notes on it, they would just "clean out heat sync", throw Windows 7 back on it and leave it to me to put in all the updates and service packs. HP never addredd the issue through its 3 year warranty period.
Let me say that it was the worst $2,600 ever invested in a PC.
Today, it is just good for gathering dust and making Power Point presentations.

The point is, a software license can have a lot to do with device functionality and resource management. That is why they charge the big-buck$.

PiedPiper70

Registered User.
Local time
Hi there everyone. An update and a question.

As mentioned before, in order to keep the Acces database running I'm developing an archiving system in order to keep the file size down. The archive will be on SQL Server, so here's the plan:-

Create an accdb file containing the 18 tables that I wish to archive - this is structure only, no data. Then use SSMA to create the Archive database on SQL Server. So far so good, but I have a question - what is the preferred way of tranferring a record from the Access BE to a similar table on an SQL Server?

I've tried using linked tables but I'm getting ODBC errors that don't mean anything. Here's a code snippet of what I'm trying to do:

strSQL = "INSERT INTO dbo_tblMatters_Admin SELECT * FROM tblMatters_Admin WHERE [unq_code] = '" & unqcode & "'"
db.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError + dbSeeChanges

strSQL = "DELETE FROM tblMatters_Admin WHERE [unq_code] = '" & unqcode & "'"
db.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError + dbSeeChanges

But even if I can figure out how to cure the ODBC errors, and cope with the TimeStamp field, is there in fact a better way to transfer a record?

As always, any help very much appreciated
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom