Counting specific text (1 Viewer)

yeleek

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:13
Hi,

Within my database each record is owned by at least one staff member (I have a field called owner).

For a report I want to be able to provide a summary to say staff member 'x' owns 'y' records, staff member 'a' owns 'b' records, etc.

There are only 5 possible staff members so I'm happy to create calculated fields for each staff member in my query.

I'm having problems though - I cannot figure out how to create a calculated field which gives me the total number of records staff member 'x' owns.

Any ideas? Is there a better way of doing it? To complicate things, certain records could be owned by multiple staff members so ideally it needs to support wildcards.

Thanks in advance

Ranman256

Local time
Yesterday, 20:13
Why do you need a virtual field?

If the table has [owner] then your report will show,
select owner, count([field]) from table

to get each owners count.

yeleek

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the reply.

The SQL (though I'm not good at reading it) looks like this for my existing query

SELECT tbl_main.Ref, tbl_main.Tier, tbl_main.Category, tbl_main.Status, tbl_main.Asset, tbl_main.[Risk Owner], tbl_main.[Risk Summary], tbl_main.[Current Risk Rating], tbl_main.[Residual Risk Rating], tbl_main.Progress
FROM tbl_main
WHERE (((tbl_main.Status)="Open"));

What I want ideally is a way within the report/query to show how many records are owned by bob, jane or freddy. If there is a better way of doing it am more than happy to try, but creating a 'virtual field' per staff member was the first thing that came to mind.

Thanks in advance

yeleek

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

I've tried adding totals and selecting 'Count' on the status field (which has a criteria of 'open').

I get an error

'You tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression 'Ref' as part of an aggregate function'.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:13
Please post up the SQL of your query - we can't guess...

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 08:13
if you have separate table for Staff Names:

SELECT tblStaff.StaffName, (Select Count(*) From theTableWithOwnerField Where Instr([Owner], [tblStaff].[StaffName]) >0) AS [Owned Records]
FROM tblStaff;

Ranman256

Local time
Yesterday, 20:13
no, turn on SUMMATION sign (counting)

select [Risk Owner], count([Ref]) as CountOfRef from tbl_main WHERE (((tbl_main.Status)="Open"));

yeleek

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks all - figured it out with the last one from Ranman. Set my criteria and where, then count the number of ref's. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom