Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:14
Thank you i can see that now!

armenperez

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:14
I have a combobox which takes you to the record instead of just displaying what is in the combo box? What am I missing? If I have the last name Jones then only those named Jones should appear not take me to the first jones.

armenperez

Registered User.
Local time
I created subform and same thing happened

Anonymous1986

Registered User.
Local time
Going back to my IDs / Pimary keys, company name is a constant across my database and certain fields such as projects, trades and estimates already have their own unique numbers which was the thinking behind my relationships. Would you still recommend using Auto IDs?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 08:14
Absolutely.

What will you do if a company changes its name? That DOES happen; as just one example, Federal Express became FedEx. If you use the name as a key, then when a company changes its name, you need to either create a new entry, effectively losing all your history, or else go through your entire application and find ALL records in ALL tables using that company name and change them. By comparison, if you join on the surrogate key (the ID fields), then you avoid that entire nightmare.

Basically, an autonumber field's entire purpose in life is to be a surrogate key to allow for easy joins between tables.

While we're at it, 'ID' is a terrible name for an ID field. You should generally include what kind of ID it is - ContactID, SupplierID, etc.

armenperez

Registered User.
Local time
I have multiple combo box to pull from the same data, if I pull by name I have 5 Allen but if I want to pull my Tax ID which could be shared with several people it only gives me Allen or one Tax ID although the Tax id is shared with 5 people. Is a subform needed to get the results I am expecting? Data pulling from one table. I have a Record ID as the link master fields but if I search for Tax ID 00000000 I only get one record.

armenperez

Registered User.
Local time
I want to filter as you would in Excel, if I remove the subform and just have the continuous form have a field like Tax id or Last name, ability to sort multiple fields if needed

armenperez

Registered User.
Local time
I got it to work, kept the subform and put a filter in the data using the main form combo box field names

Anonymous1986

Registered User.
Local time
Attached picture of working form. Contact 1 is default estimating contact and dropdown shows both contacts (1&2) for company 1 which is all correct information.

Company 2 shows the correct estimating contact but the dropdown shows the same contact 1 and 2 from company 1. This is the case for all companies on the list.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 42

armenperez

Registered User.
Local time
I have multiple filter buttons but they don't list the data only provides the text Filters option, any suggestions? If I want to search for last name Jones all the name should appear and I will scroll down to find Jones like you would see in excel

Anonymous1986

Registered User.
Local time
I don't seem to be able to start a new thread. Anyone know why that might be?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
It is working for me?
Have you tried going from the breadcrumb links at the top of the page?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom