Import Export possibilities with Access Web Server? (1 Viewer)

Access Web Dev

Local time
Today, 06:23
Currently I am running an Access based web server (Windows 2003 with IIS6) but experience the following problem: sometimes when the users are not connected to server they export the data to an Excel file. Once back again they have to manually update the database again, which as you would probably understand never happens. My question is, is there a simple way of exporting and importing the access data on the webserver again or do I have to look for another solution (Lotus notes, Oracle,....)?
Many thanks for your help in advance.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 09:23
I've never working with the feature but it sounds like you need to use Access's 'replication' tools...

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
I've never working with the feature but it sounds like you need to use Access's 'replication' tools...

Access does not have "replication tools," but the Jet database engine does.

I am baffled as to what exactly you think replication would offer in the scenario described. I see no reason whatsoever that Jet replication would accomplish anything at all there.

KenHigg

Local time
Access does not have "replication tools," but the Jet database engine does.

It seems you may be splitting hairs a bit - ?

I am baffled as to what exactly you think replication would offer in the scenario described. I see no reason whatsoever that Jet replication would accomplish anything at all there.

Reads like the following are what I based my suggestion on:

Link

Seeing as how he wants to work with data in the field then sync it back up with a master, I thought it a reasonable option to consider...?
(granted it doesn't look like something you want to do over a slow internet connection)

Access Web Dev

Local time
Today, 06:23
Thanks for the tips. Replication to a local map could be an option. Access is only used as a database on the background, only using tables and some queries and connect to the database via ODBC and ASP. So in my opinion there are only a few options left:
1. Use the replications function as mentioned, and build an extra user interface in Access, with forms, reports etc.
2. Make an export function with ASP out of the database to Excel and an upload function of the Excel file to check and update the database on the server.
3. Create on each user computer an local server and copy and update the (replicated) database from there.
4. Do nothing and tell the guy's it is not possible...

Last edited:

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
It seems you may be splitting hairs a bit - ?

There is no such thing as "Access Replication," because Access is a database application development tool, and not a database. It provides a default database engine (Jet), and the choices on the menu to replicate are just links to Jet functionality.

It's not splitting hairs to maintain this distinction, especially in the context of a discussion of using a Web server, where Access is simply not involved (only Jet).

Reads like the following are what I based my suggestion on:

Link

That's a very lame article, seems to me. It doesn't discuss any of the real issues involved, nor allude to any of the many precautions you need to take when replicating (it doesn't even mention replicating only data tables).

Seeing as how he wants to work with data in the field then sync it back up with a master, I thought it a reasonable option to consider...?

I don't see *anywhere* that there's any need to synch back and forth. All I saw was this:

...is there a simple way of exporting and importing the access data on the webserver again...

Doesn't look like synching to me.

(granted it doesn't look like something you want to do over a slow internet connection)

It works fine if you use indirect (or Internet) replication. But those are very complex to implement and require components running on the server side.

The Jet Replication Wiki has information on all of these issues:

http://dfenton.com/DFA/Replication/

KenHigg

Local time
Sorry - I didn't realize there was a sub-culture that was so anal about Jet. It does make for interesting reading though :)

So here's a question: How come I see Jet 4 in Access summary (ref pic 1) but under Jet core components is shows Jet 4.0 -> 'Not Available'? (ref pic 2)

Attachments

• summary_01.jpg
    summary_01.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 184
  • summary_02.jpg
    summary_02.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 169

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry - I didn't realize there was a sub-culture that was so anal about Jet. It does make for interesting reading though :)

It's crucial that people maintain the distinction between Access and the Jet database engine. On a web server, you're simply not using any Access objects, you're only use Jet objects, and thus, it's confusing to say "Access" when you mean "Jet." Many of us can figure out what you actually mean, but do you really want to take the chance when asking a question that people will guess correctly whether you mean Access or Jet?

This kind of thing is even worse in non-Access-specific forums (e.g., StackOverflow.com), because much of the bad reputation of Access comes because of misunderstanding and misuse of the Jet database engine, and a failure to understanding its appropriate uses and proper care and maintenance.

[moderator is editing out my comments. If this ever happens again, I'm leaving this forum for good.]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom