New computer - ODBC connection failed (1 Viewer)

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
Today, 13:09
Hello,

We have a small office network with just a few computers.

Computer X has both the front end and a SQL server back end. All computers on the network use this front end MDB. All of this works fine as it has for years.

Here is the problem....we recently got a new computer to replace an old one, installed Access on it and connected it to the network. It reads computer X just fine and I can open the MDB front end that resides on computer X, BUT when I try to open any of the SQL server tables (also on computer X) I get an error that the ODBC connection failed.

All other computers on the network can access this same front end and connect to the back end successfully. How come this new computer can't connect to the back end when it connects to the front end just fine?

The new computer was set up the same user name and password as the previous computer (both for Windows and Access).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:09
You may need to add an ODBC connection in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Data Sources. Check there on one of the working machines.

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
Today, 13:09
That was it... thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:09
Happy to help. I typically use a File DSN created on the server, and link files with that. Then you don't need anything on the individual PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom