Label sorting and printing (1 Viewer)

Bill Strough

Local time
Today, 19:00
Using a 4"x5" label as a packing list on outside of container. Could have 10-12 line items all different with varying quanities. e.g. 10 blue widgets, 42 yellow widgets, 18 green widgets. The problem is that the container only holds a max of 36 widgets. I would like to automatically force a new label to print when the max is reached. Therefore one order could produce many labels.

Thanks in advance for your consideration of this problem.

Bill

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 18:00
Bill,

Welcome to AWF.

You should be able to do what you want.

Do you have a question?

Bill Strough

Local time
Thank you for the reply, The question is, how do I accomplish this task? Where do I tell the report to print another label with the remaining line items? Is the answer in the query or the report? And what would be the code?

Bill

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 18:00
Where do I tell the report to print another label with the remaining line items?
I normally handle this by using a group header.

Is the answer in the query or the report?
I would use both.

When creating a report, the first thing I do is create a query to get the desired records into a format that the report can easily handle. This does mean that you have to understand reports and how they work. Like how grouping and sorting is handled in a report.

Once the query is done, I start creating the report.

In your case, I would definitely start with the query.

Based on how you are needing to group records, I would probably use a temp table to store the primary key and any other data needed for determining how to group by label. I would use VBA code to loop the recordset and assign a label number. This would be use in the report as a grouping field.

I have find that this method will make the report very simple and easy. Which usually means the report will run faster and have less issues.

Bill Strough

Local time
Thanks for the comments. It's apparent that I do indeed need to have a better understanding of report grouping etc. I will see what I can do with what you have suggested. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom