Hello, good evening, how are you? (1 Viewer)

shanegroff

Local time
Today, 04:26
My name is Shane Groff.

I'm an engineer on the Access Product Team, and have been for a long time.
Indeed, I've worked on every version of Access, even the one that never shipped.

There are people who know more about how to build great applications with Access, but few who know more about the application we call Access.

I don't usually have time to visit public groups very often, but sometimes people let me know when there is a question or issue I might be able to help with.

I am particularly interested if you think you've found a bug in the product.

Shane

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:26
Hi Shane,

Welcome to AWF.

It sounds like you have had a very interesting career, working on MS Access, and a deep knowledge of how it works under the hood.

I for one, would be interested in any hints and tips you can pass on, if you can find the time.

As for getting feedback about bugs and the like, I'm sure you are in exactly the right place, as I know there are a number of members here who have used access right from the beginning, and I'm sure they will be interested in discussing this interesting product with you.

Cheers Tony...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:26
Hi, Shane. I've worked with Access since it was 2.0 and have even once been an MVP for Access (many years ago now). Glad to have someone around who has definitive knowledge of the product from the other side of the interface.

What was your area of concentration, if we may ask? GUI? Wizards? JET/ACE? Something else?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome Shane, I guess my blindness had an upside; it led you here. ;)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Hi Shane

Good to have you here. These are the busiest Access forums on the net, so to have an Access Product Team member here is fantastic.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 07:26
Hello Shane and welcome to AWF,

When you say you are looking for a bug in the product, are you referring to a certain version or do all versions apply?

I ask because after a recent upgrade from Office 2010 to 2013 my company's IT dept place a Prime Ticket (regarding AC 2013) with MS that has still not been resolved.

I can either PM the details to you or start a new thread if you are interested...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Shane
I have already welcomed you in the thread you answered yesterday https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1607142&postcount=23

Thanks for the offer you made related to Access bugs

In connection with bugs, I reported an issue back in May about the geolocation feature being broken in IE following the Win10 1803 update. See this thread for more details. https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=299932

I don't know if it falls within your remit but MS acknowledged it as a bug back in May and released a fix on 12 June which unfortunately didn't work. I reported it again in July and again in Oct but it still doesn't work. It's a fairly fundamental issue. Are you able to assist in getting it fixed.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Shane, what would be the approach for asking such questions? PM you? You won't be able to accept/send private messages until you've had a few posts, methinks. Plus, anwers via pm's wouldn't benefit anyone but the person asking.

I have a question about how forms load records based on tables when filters are applied. Everything I've researched on this only shows how to create/apply and that
You can use the Filter property to specify a subset of records to be displayed when a filter is applied to a form, reportquery, or table.
Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, which is
Does the form load all fields/records then filter out a subset based on the filter, or is it more efficient than that? I'm a proponent of basing forms on queries whenever I can so that I can apply sort orders and in some cases, field/record limits based on exclusion and/or criteria. My assumption is that Access would load the whole table first.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:26
Micron, Shane would indeed be the better person to answer this, but so far as I know, the way it works is that Access somehow temporarily modifies the .Recordsource so that it seems to have an extra WHERE element. Which would mean that the query is run first, then the form is populated (with filtered records).

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Not sure if you mean an actual query. My question concerns forms based on tables, not a query and no filter query.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question

The introductions forum wasn't, but since technical content was already creeping into the thread I've moved it to the general area.

shanegroff

Local time
I'm new to this forum, so I may be missing something, but it doesn't look I can answer individual replies (short of writing a bunch of replies with quoting), so I'll just reply to everyone in one message.

Thanks for the welcome.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely I'll have much time to pass on hints and tips, as much fun as that can be.

I've worked on most parts of the product at one time or another, but in terms of visible parts of the product, I've probably spent most time with the user interface. I've done a lot of work around internal engineering improvements, but those aren't typically obvious to product users.

Regarding bugs, we do consider fixing bugs in older versions (back to 2010), although we are much more likely to take a fix in O365 than in other versions. I'm not sure what the most effective way for us to discuss bugs will be, maybe start a thread, so others can chime in if they see the issue as well, and PM me to let me know if I don't speak up (once I can get PMs).

isladogs, regarding the geolocation bug, in the thread you pointed to, you said on 6/21 that the fix released by Microsoft did work. Is this still not working?

Regarding the filter property, if you set the Filter property, and FilterOnLoad=Yes, then we will create a query using the restriction, and only retrieve those records.

Shane

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
isladogs, regarding the geolocation bug, in the thread you pointed to, you said on 6/21 that the fix released by Microsoft did work. Is this still not working?

Hi Shane
See attached screenshot
The feature works on 1 PC with 1803 but not on 3 others with the same build.
It worked on all PCs when I had v1709.
Currently none of my PCs have 1809. I did try it (and it didn't fix the issue). After other unrelated problems back in October, I uninstalled it and I'm reluctant to reinstall that build

I wrote an update to this in another thread but not in that one.
I've just done so now: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1607526&postcount=5

I've also requested feedback from others especially those who've updated to 1809

Attachments

• GeolcationServiceFailed.jpg
    GeolcationServiceFailed.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Shane

FYI I've now updated 4 Windows PCs (desktop/2 laptops/tablet) to Win 10 v1809.
That was 'fun' ... 2 failed updates including one where I was locked out for a while!
Anyway, on 3 of those, the geolocation service now works perfectly.

It still fails with the same error on the desktop PC. That of course has no geolocation sensor but I've set a default location in Windows settings and up to v1709 that worked for this purpose. However, on that PC, the location service still fails in IE in v1809. At some point when I have the time I'll do a fresh install of Windows on that PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom