email macro bombs (1 Viewer)

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:34
I have a laptop and a desktop on my home network. Both are Win10 pro. The desktop is running Access 2010 and the laptop runs Office 365. My db runs flawlessly on the laptop but an email routine won't run on the desktop. The macro code:

EmailDatabaseObject
Object Type: Report
Object Name: CLGAFullList
Output Format: PDF Format (*.pdf)
To: clga@xxx
Subject: CLGA Member List
Message Text: Spring really is coming--right?!?
Edit Message: Yes

When I click the button that calls this code, the program closes but doesn't delete the .laccdb file, and it makes a backup of the program. On the laptop, it executes properly where it opens an email screen with the report attached and the message ready to be edited.

There is a cdo email routine used for sending individual emails, and it works just fine on both computers.

Other than the difference in Access versions, I cannot find any clues, and this was originally developed on the 2010 version. Any ideas?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:34
Hi. Probably a silly question but does the desktop computer have a default email client installed?

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Yes--Outlook, and the laptop has emClient installed.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
On the desktop computer, if you create a blank database and then create a macro with the EmailDatabaseObject action, does it work?

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Don't know--I'll get back to you in a minute.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 14:34
You could try my CDO EMail Tester utility on the problem PC.
This will allow you to check settings and identify issues if the email fails to send

HTH

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
theDBguy, frest db with sample email routine doesn't work either. I did generate a new, simple report to attach. Also, another button uses another email macro to send a table in xlsx format, and it works on laptop but not on desktop computer.

isladogs, the cdo routine in the same db works just fine on both computers.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ah OK - must have misunderstood the earlier post when you wrote:
My db runs flawlessly on the laptop but an email routine won't run on the desktop.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
theDBguy, frest db with sample email routine doesn't work either. I did generate a new, simple report to attach. Also, another button uses another email macro to send a table in xlsx format, and it works on laptop but not on desktop computer.
I think this points to something being wrong with your desktop instead of your database. Are you able to send email normally using Outlook on your desktop?

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
hmmm... I just loaded the db onto husband's desktop and it all runs. I would be surprised if just running 2010 would make the difference--think I will install 365 Access and see if it runs. I will get back to you.

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
theDBguy, yes, I can send email via Outlook on the desktop.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
theDBguy, yes, I can send email via Outlook on the desktop.
And you said Outlook is the "default" email client, correct? You might double-check, just in case.

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
OKay--I should have tried this earlier. It works on desktop running under 365. I wrote the thing on the desktop in the first place, so I didn't suspect 2010 being the culprit. I have to keep 2010 because I have another db that is run under Runtime by a number of people statewide, and I am using the lowest version for compatibility.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Sounds like a good plan. Using the lowest common denominator for development is a good idea.

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Also, I often go to the desktop when changing up screens because 365 doesn't play nice--I suspect it has to do with the malfunctioning scroll. I do wish MS would get their act together and fix that.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Also, I often go to the desktop when changing up screens because 365 doesn't play nice--I suspect it has to do with the malfunctioning scroll. I do wish MS would get their act together and fix that.
Sorry, I can't say I am familiar with the "malfunctioning scroll" problem. Where can I find any information about it?

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Google "access 2016 - non working vertical scroll bar - Microsoft Community"

When I scroll a continuous form or report, the bottom is stationary so you cannot see the last of the report. Also, when I change from a full screen form to design view, the screen shows part of the form in design view on top of the open form. If there is something I wish to reposition or change on the right hand side of the screen, I cannot get to it. I have to close it all and find it in the list of forms and open it in design view from there. Certainly doable, but not what I have been accustomed to doing.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Okay, thanks. I'll check it out. I use 2016 and can't say I've come across any of these problems. Cheers!

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
OKay--I should have tried this earlier. It works on desktop running under 365. I wrote the thing on the desktop in the first place, so I didn't suspect 2010 being the culprit. I have to keep 2010 because I have another db that is run under Runtime by a number of people statewide, and I am using the lowest version for compatibility.

Perhaps this is relevant to your issue....

I also have both Access 2010 & 2019(365) on my main desktop PC.
That's so I can develop in 2010 but test in 365 without using a VM.
So I keep 2010 as my default Access version.
Otherwise, I use the 365 versions (Word/Excel etc)

Whilst that (generally) works fine, there is a big issue....you can only have one version of Outlook installed ...and I chose 2019(365).

The result for me is that the EMail ribbon button is ENABLED in A365 but DISABLED in A2010

See also https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=303586&highlight=EMail+disabled

Attachments

• EmailRibbonButtons.PNG
    EmailRibbonButtons.PNG
    96.3 KB · Views: 136

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom