What is MySQL/PHP and when would you change from access to it? (1 Viewer)

Greyowlsl

Mlak Mlak
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:23
I am employed by a business which has 16 employees and they use access. I am currently helping to upgrade their document managment database, which they have 800+ documents in. Also they have many other access databases that contain over 1000+ records. I heard somone in another forum speaking of MySQL and PHP as being for better for larger businesses, but when would you need them and is it worth it?

DanG

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:23
Using Access you are able to support 30-50 users (don't quote me) or so. The number of users will most likely be the determining factor in looking for other solutions. The number of records you state are very low, Access can handle much more than that. But as your database becomes bigger good table design becomes more important.

MySQL is a database most used for online solutions (like online stores).
PHP is a scripting language (like ASP) it is used to generate HTML and is very popular because it can make very dynamic web sites.

"Big Businesses" most often use SQL Server/ASP (both Microsoft products).

In the end jumping from MS Access to something else will require learning a whole new different set of skills.

Hope this helps

Greyowlsl

Mlak Mlak
Local time
Yea it did thanks, exactly what i wanted to know :D

mikebaldam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:23
Access is always a great Front End

Access is always a great Front End

Most of the DBs I work with are at least partly MySQL / SQL but Access is just the nices front end tool to give to the end users.....

Salient

Registered User.
Local time
Just to carify, php is more a C/C++ styled scripting language so if used to Access and vbscripts there's a learning curve there.

Problem with the php/mysql combo is the number of script kiddies and crackers attracted to it. Always worth considering for online business.

BTW if you are reading this, then you are using a php/mysql application:eek: vBulletion is one of the major forum products written via that platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom