MySQL, PHP, APACHE - help? (1 Viewer)

james_IT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:03
Hi All

Want to try to start teaching myself PHP and MySQL so I can start to make database-driven dynamic websites.

Had a search here alread but just a very simple question to get me going and hopefully a simple answer...

I understand that for what I want to do i need

Web server Software (e.g. APACHE / IIS)
Scripting Langague (PHP)
Database server (MySQL)
HTML editor (e.g. frontpage / dreamweaver)

my question is (if ive got this right so far) how do all these components work and link together, how are they all connected? Also, what task is each component trying to achieve?

In addition, if anyone can recommend some good online beginner tutorials / videos that would be great too.

Thanks

James

DanG

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:03
Really good tutorial...
http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/627

Install...
You can install all these separately which can be a pain or do as I do and get an all in one install solution such as...
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14045

This allows you to have all up and running in minutes from downloading, while it is a great solution for learning and testing it is not intended for production.
There are also other solutions out there, but this does all I need.

As far as how they all work together...
I will use Microsoft access as the example.
Apache is kind of like Windows (the operating system)
MySQL is kind of like Microsoft Access, but the "Tables" and "Query" areas only
PHP is like Microsoft Access forms and reports areas.

As far as Frontpage/Dreamweaver, they are HTML editors and can be used for developing the HTML/CSS portion of your web site. But I myself stay away from such products and use Notepad as my PHP/HTML/CSS editor while the use of Notepad is kind of raw as there is no pretty user interface to insulate you from having to know HTML/PHP/CSS it is well worth going this route IMHO.

Good luck!

jsrsolution

Local time
Today, 06:03
Re: Hi

hi
i am new in this forum. i want to design my new site similar with site like birthday gifts.
i want to develop my site in php with mysql. can anybody give me the total cost while i being develop the similar site

thanks

adambedford

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:03
james_IT:

Another very good PHP package is Apache2Triad. This includes your standard Apache, PHP and MySQL, but also a load of other useful tool such as FTP servers and Mail servers.

I'm also pretty new at this and found Dreamweaver to be very helpful!

Good luck!

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 14:03
You could also try XAMPP. It works straight from the download and i have had no problems with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom