What PDA to link to Access 2007? (1 Viewer)

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:13
Hi,
Not sure I'm in the right part of the forum, but here goes...

I've almost finalised an Access 2007 db - a freebie for my bro-in-law! It's in Access Runtime as he doesn't have the full 2007 Office suite and he's pretty happy with it. But now he's asked if it's possible to run it on a PDA and I don't really know where to begin.

He doesn't have a particular PDA/smartphone/whatever in mind - I think he'd at least consider anything. But my skills (which are mediocre!!) are purely in Access and Excel, so I'd need something that didn't require in-depth knowledge of any other software. Something with idiot-proof wizards would be good!

Essentially, he would need the mobile functionality to visit different locations and collect data via touch-screen dropdown options and text-boxes. There are sub-forms and sub-sub-forms to consider too! Then, back at base, he would need to be able to print off several reports which I've written for him.

I don't know whether that would involve downloading from the hand-held into a PC, or printing directly from the hand-held.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a system/gadget that does this more or less intuitively, or should I tell him to forget the whole thing and stick with a clipboard and a pre-printed data collection form?

Very grateful for any advice.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 05:13
You can't do it without either programming your own PDA interface (using SQL CE for the backend on the PDA) and then trying to get the data moved back and forth. There are some third party tools which you can PURCHASE but they aren't cheap.

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:13
Thanks Bob,

I've read some other replies on this topic and that's the feeling I got. Presumably SQL CE requires knowledge of SQL (you could fit mine on the back of a stamp!)

I've been googling since I posted and was wondering about a smartphone, e.g iPhone, Blackberry and software like this. Is this approach workable?

I forgot to mention earlier than he needs to take pictures and store them in the database too. That's why I'm thinking smartphone as it saves having to carry a separate camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom