Posts hibernating in moderators area? (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:30
Hi

Recently I posted a reply to an old thread in the code repository:Check if function or sub exists

It still hadn't appeared the following day so I contacted a moderator (Uncle Gizmo)
I was asked to repost it as the post got 'lost' in a neglected corner of cyberspace due to an apparent glitch in the forum software.
Many thanks for helping Tony

Today I've noticed a 'new' post in that thread by AndrewS dating from August. It was definitely not there when I added my post.

I also spotted another 'new' post by Static in my Emulated Split Form thread in sample databases. Again I'm sure its only just appeared.

In neither case did the forum alert me with a 'subscribed threads' email.

So I'm wondering whether:
a) a moderator is currently searching the site for 'other' lost posts. If so, thank you
b) the glitch has been fixed and a number of lost posts have surfaced as a result. If so there may be others I've missed
c) the glitch is still there

If c) is still true, I suggest all who post or reply to moderated areas should check to see whether their post appear within a reasonable amount of time (e.g. 24 hours) and if not, contact the site moderators to alert them.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
So I'm wondering whether:
a) a moderator is currently searching the site for 'other' lost posts.

Yes, you are correct Colin, I have been resurrecting hidden moderated posts. It's another aspect of the forum software where you would expect to get some sort of notification, but as it is now, you have to be actively look out for these things. I have been documenting various "moderator related" tasks/things? --- so that moderators of the future will have a sort of manual. At the moment, it's basically a collection of links to suggestions and comments made by moderators in the past. I am compiling this as a list of links in a thread in the moderator section.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Many thanks for your time on this Tony

I've now found 4 replies to posts I've done in moderated areas including one by Ranman lost since May and which I've just replied to.

I'm not sure whether anything else I've posted has gone missing.
The problem is of course that its hard to recall all posts done awhile ago

I've checking all of my sample databases or code repository items for other resurrected responses.

Suggest others who have posted in there may wish to do the same

Last edited:

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:30
This means that i have to repost my message also to the same post. :-(
Thanks ridders for bringing this to my attention.

<edit>I don't feel like retyping my answer to this thread so this one is lost</edit>

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:30
This may be off topic but I recall others discussing old posts showing up much later than the posted date.
I received an email re a response to a post today 17-nov-2017. It was for this post.

Here is the essence of the email:
[Dear jdraw,

Colonel Mustard has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Synchronizing Access Forms in a Multi-User Environment. - in the forum of Access World Forums.

This thread is located at:
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=272301&goto=newpost...
]

Not sure why I received it today (about 3 years after the post's date)???

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I found a section in the Forum Moderators area which lists all of the unapproved posts and unapproved attachments. I have been going through it and removing the restriction on posts which look like they should actually be seen. When they are approved, then everyone in the thread is sent an email update. Hence the reason you received notification Jack...

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:30
10-4 Tony. I have approved a post (or 2) and forgot/didn't know to approve attachment also.
Such a relief, the other possibility was that the OP has just now tested the suggestion.

Thanks for your comments and "keep up the clean up".
jack

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
thanks for your ongoing efforts with this Tony.
Good to know that emails will also be triggered this way.

So will this be the oldest post coming out of hibernation?

Is Colonel Mustard still in the library?
And are Professor Plum and Miss Scarlet there as well?:D

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
It was The Reverend in the Dining room with the Candlestick.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Minty

How goes things across the pond ... assuming you're still in the USA?
Hoping those last 3 letters don't register on the antennae of my namesake

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
All good - busy but that's what I'm here for.
I doubt Uncle Essex reads these "normal" posts... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom