Can the Reputation comments be read? (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 02:23
Apologies, just trying to see how it worked, no compliment intended ;)

Fair enough as I don't remember ever having responded to one of your posts!
I've amended my post accordingly

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:23
Speaking of reputation points, from the screen it appears that I have six and so does MarkK - but when I hover the mouse over the dots, mine says I am "a name known to all" while MarkK is "a glorious beacon of light." Different messages but we both show six green dots. Am I missing something here?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:23
It would probably take an admin (Vassago or Jon) to give you the levels where the text changes, but you have different points in "reputation level", which I assume is what the dots are based on (you have more!).

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 22:23
The reputation quotes are based on the actual number rather than the lights.

User is infamous around these parts

User can only hope to improve

User*has a little shameless behaviour in the past

User is an unknown quantity at this point

User is on a distinguished road

User will become famous soon enough

User has a spectacular aura about

User is a jewel in the rough

User is just really nice

User is a glorious beacon of light

User is a name known to all

User is a splendid one to behold

User has much to be proud of

User has a brilliant future

User has a reputation beyond repute

Reactions: Rx_

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks for the list
I think I was right when I described the statements as a bit 'twee' in this post

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1552924&postcount=1

Could you also clarify exactly how many points trigger each extra green blob
I know how many RPs I have, but not when I get another blob.

Two more related questions - I know you can't keep giving RPs to the same person and why ...
BUT I keep being thwarted when trying to re-award RPs several months later

So ...
a) roughly how long do you have to wait before doing so again
b) is it possible to view a list of those to whom I have previously awarded RPs

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:23
Guess I don't have to worry about getting that highest level. My repute has been "ill" for some time, I'm sure.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I've noticed that they reps aren't always green - even if the comment is obviously helpful?
Can I get an extra house point ?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I believe that's because they haven't clicked the approve button.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 22:23
Since we are all here and talking about it, I am unable to give just about everyone on the thread “cool points” because I have done so in the not so distant past.

Although I can see why this would be a good thing, after all we wouldn’t want somebody sand-bagging, would we?

However, some members really give this site more attention than others and if the same fool helps me out more than once in a short time frame, and has done so more than others, I SHOULD be able to thank them properly...

That’s what I think anyway!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
If I can't have a house point, what about a MacDonalds gold star?

Reactions: Rx_

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
After using this site a lot for a year or so, I'm still confused about why some very positive reputation comments add few or no points whilst others seem to add a large number.

For example & chosen at random:
Thanks - useful examples = 40?
Amazing = 0
No comment made = 20?
Superb link to solving my issue = 20?

I know that points are only added when the 'I approve' button is ticked. Indicated with green dot. Not ticked = grey

I'm fairly confident that when users who have many posts and/or are moderators/VIPs use this system more points are added than if a newbie does so

And if not obvious to others each 100 RPs adds another green blob under your user name

Many thanks to Vassago for explaining the thresholds for being a 'jewel in the rough' or a 'wonder to behold' etc . .. etc

I know I've asked about how points are determined before but nobody seemed to know.

So I have a suggestion which is currently in use on another forum using the same VBulletin software: http://www.accessforums.net

In the User Control Panel, add another entry: Latest Reputation Given
Then list the most recent RPs awarded by the current user

Doing that would enable users to see the impact of their generosity & hopefully guide any who care to adjust their comments accordingly.

Any thoughts?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Ridders
Assuming the system is the same as it was when I asked about many light years ago then the more posts the giver has the more points he gives, hence new posters give no or few points, I think the theory is a hat they ask simple questions and/or cannot really judge the quality of the answer.

As the system only came into existence after I had been on here several years and people I helped in Excel rarely gave rep points it never bothered me. I look at Pat Hartman's count and realise how misleading it is, I learnt everything I ever knew about access from reading her answers to questions.

Brian

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Brian
Your answer is partly confirming what I thought but it's more complex than that. It's certainly true that more experienced users have more 'weight' with regard to RPs. It also appears that if someone writes a glowing comment but doesn't tick 'I approve' then no points are awarded

However, even with everything else the same, certain very positive comments have little effect on RPs but other less effusive praise can have a huge impact.
My guess is there is some kind of word bank that decides the RPs ...but that's just my guess.

BTW I totally agree that no system can fully reflect the value of any user, especially those who were around long before thanks or RPs were in place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom