Multiplication Error in Query (1 Viewer)

freidaf

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:36
Hello,
I am trying to multiply 152 by .94 in a calculated field in my query to get the total cost. The query returns $142.76 but the correct answer is $142.88.

I have read that it is a rounding issue but I can't understand how to correct it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:36
are you sure the underlying values are exactly as stated and have not been formatted to zero and 2 dp respectively? what happens if you use the formula

round(152value,0)*(round(.94value,2)

or in your query set the format property for each value to say 4 dp, what do you see?

freidaf

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:36
OMG! You solved my problem. Thank you so much. I can leave work now with a clear head!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:36
always better to leave any formatting around rounding etc off until you are presenting data in a form or report. Or if values have to be rounded (e.g. decimal quantity x a price or a tax rate) should be rounded at the time of calculation.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:36
BTW When calculating money or any other numbers with decimal places where precision matters, always be sure to use Currency or Decimal data type. Currency is good for four decimal places and Decimal for up to 18.

Single and Double datatypes don't always calculate precisely due to the difficulty of storing fractional numbers in binary.

Try this expression in the immediate window for a surprising answer:
Code:
? Int(0.7 * 90)
For the correct answer:

Code:
? Int(CDec(0.7) * 90)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom