My first steps on this forum : import tables (1 Viewer)

M

Mat_F

I have a MDE file with tables with data I want to keep
secret and to allow access under VBA control (through forms).

The problem is that anyone can import these tables !!!

(I already tryed to hide or rename as system tables but
this can't really hide the tables. I also disabled the SHIFT
key to prevent user to get the DB window)

So how can I prevent user to import a table ????
(strange how this simple problem can be a security weakspot !)

Thanx to anybody to answer my first question on this forum.

Benny Wong

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:59
Microsoft Access Security Issues?

Hello Mat_F,

In response to your issue, I am in the same boat. However, to cover your behind in light of the security holes of
Microsoft Access perhaps another way of looking at the security holes is if someone really wants to get in they will. Having said that maybe let management be aware of this and put the responsibility on their shoulders. This way you can rest easy doing your job as a programmer and not worry as a security officer. But that is my opinion. Someone once said, "Life is what happens to you while you are planning your life"
Hope that helps! Good Luck!

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:59
Mat and Benny,

You may want to start here and also search the forum using the keyword Security. Afterward, if you have the means, practice setting up security on a test machine with test files.

Regards,
Tim

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:59
As pono said, you are going to need to implement Access security if you have not already.

But in summary, you'll need to remove ALL user access to table objects. Then change all your queries to include the WITH OWNERACCESS option. All your forms and reports should already be based on queries but if they are not, you'll have more work there. These queries need to be stored querydefs. They CANNOT be queries that are created in VBA or used as recordsources because "WITH OWNERACCESS" will not work with this type of query. WITH OWNERACCESS refers to the Owner of the querydef object (you) and transfers your access to the underlying tables to the person who is running the query.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom