Front-end / Back-end ?? (1 Viewer)

Benny Wong

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:02
Hello All,

I am using Access 2000. I have already created a database in which the Front-end and Back-end is stored on the Server. My question is on the Front-end which are a series of Forms where the user can do their data entry, data edits, run their reports, etc., should the setup be either:

1. A short-cut on the desktop from the Server location?
2. A copy of the Front-ends on the workstation and run
Link Table Manager to connect to the Back-end?

Which is the "Right" approach? Thanks in advance for the answer for the "Right" approach. Thank you very much for your time.

Robert Dunstan

Mr Data
Local time
Today, 17:02
Hi there,

I always copy the front end to each machine and use the Linked Table Manager to connect to the back end. However I don't connect to the back end using a mapped network drive, I use UNC which means all I have to do is copy the front end over to a workstation and away they go.

I also keep a master copy of the front end on the server which is basically my development copy. I copy this to my machine and make any design changes, copy it back and then roll out the newer version. At least then a master copy of the front end is included in a backup.

One thing I am thinking about is creating a procedure that when a user first opens their copy of the front end, some code runs that checks their release number with latest release number of the master copy. If their version is older then automatically copy over the new release.

In my opinion, option 2 is the better approach as if you go for option 1 you need to ensure that everyone has permission to access the file and that sharing is set appropriately.

HTH
Rob

Last edited:

Rob.Mills

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:02
Out of curiousity, what is UNC?

And I agree that copying a front-end to the workstations is better.

Robert Dunstan

Mr Data
Local time
Today, 17:02
Universal Naming Convention.

You basically type the full pathname to the back end tables when the Linked Table Manager prompts for the location.

e.g. \\ServerName\FolderName\FileName.mdb

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Today, 12:02
I agree with Robert. I also take it a step further and create a batch file that copies the FE over to the users machine every time they open the DB. That way I always know that they have the latest copy.

Benny Wong

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:02
Hello Robert,
Thanks for your response. I will try your suggestion tomorrow when I do the installation. I appreciate your quick response. Have a great day!

Benny Wong

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom