Access database crashes access on startup (1 Viewer)

Essendon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:30
Hi,

I am developing a database in Access XP. I have been coding away all day. I did a compact and repair and then closed access. Later on when I tried to open up my database again it crashed access on startup. It does it every time now. About the same time the default form should be displayed

I have code that runs on startup and I was wondering if there is any way that I can stop this code from executing to see if it is the cause of the problem.

I thought I could just import everything into a new blank database, but because my database is secured with a workgroup file when I go to import from a new database it says that I "Don't have the necessary permissions...." Can I set these permissions up?

I really need help. This wouldn't be the first time I've lost a couple of days work because of something stupid like this.

Any advice appretiated.

Thanking you,

Peter

Last edited:

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:30
You can hold down the Shift key before the db is opened (after you key the Name: and Password: but before you click the OK button). Unless the Shift key has been disabled, the Shift key will prevent the Startup form from opening and also prevent the AutoExec macro from running.

HTH

Essendon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:30
Thankyou for that.

After I got into the database I tried to compact and repair it, but the crash would keep occuring. Then I compiled all of my modules and did another compact and repair and all of a sudden it was back to normal. Very wierd.

Thanks again.

Benny Wong

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:30
Same problem before

Hello Essendon,
I have the same experience before but I took some precautions. What I did was:

1. create a new database and import everything into the new database. This way I can eliminate the database container being intermittant.
2. Periodically run compact & repair then save the database.
3. When I save the database I zipped it with a format as such: May_17.zip for the first version of the day. The next version will be May_17a.zip, etc... I create a readme.txt file that explains the May_17.zip, May_17a.zip development process. This is my cheap version of version control and insurance if something goes wrong I can go back to the previous version and also keep track of what I need to accomplish with a check off list of ideas I need on the database.

Hope my idea help you on your process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom