Signature pads (1 Viewer)

rikklaney1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:19
Has anyone had any luck connecting a signature pad to access without having to buy 3rd party software? Is it possible? I was helping to clean out an unused office here at work and found a Wacom STU-430V still in the box but with no software. Wondering if I could put it to use and get electronic signatures on some forms thus eliminating file cabinets full of records or if this would not be feasible.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Perhaps you could visit the manufacturer's website and be lucky enough to download a driver for free. Then, you could try to see if it will work with this demo. Good luck!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 23:19
I've never tried connecting a signature pad as its easy to do this within Access.
See this link for another demo that I also use in one of my commercial apps Signature Capture

rikklaney1

Registered User.
Local time
Good point. Why bother. Seems simpler to just use an access form and a cheap tablet. Thanks guys

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
A school district near us demonstrated signature capture using iPad's, API's and Access tables.
So I do think its possible if you have the right IT support, budget Etc.

rikklaney1

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for all the advice on this previously but now I need some more. I have been working with theDBguyCollectSignatureDemoV1.0 form theDBGUY, obviously, and I want to save the sig.gif as a file in another folder and keep them that way rather than have them in a table. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. So here's his code.

Dim rs1 As DAO.Recordset
Dim rs2 As DAO.Recordset2
Dim bytArray() As Byte
Dim lngFile As Long
Dim lngCounter As Long
Dim strFile As String
'save signature to table
If Me.Inksignature.Ink.Strokes.Count > 0 Then
'Me.DateSigned = Date
bytArray = Me.Inksignature.Ink.Save(IPF_gif, IPCM_Default)

'either save signature binary data
Me.SignatureData = bytArray

If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False

'or save signature image data
strFile = "\\cnh1\wic\rldb\securitas\signatures\sig_" & Me.VName & "_" & ".gif"
'lngFile = FreeFile
Open strFile For Binary Access Write As #lngFile
For lngCounter = 0 To UBound(bytArray)
Put #lngFile, , bytArray(lngCounter)
Next
Close #lngFile

Set rs1 = Me.Recordset
rs1.Edit
Set rs2 = rs1.Fields("SignatureFile").Value

With rs2
If .RecordCount > 0 Then
.Delete
End If
.AddNew
.Fields("FileData").LoadFromFile strFile
.Update
.Close
End With

rs1.Update
rs1.Close

'cleanup
'Set rs2 = Nothing
'Set rs1 = Nothing
'If Dir(strFile) <> "" Then
'Kill strFile
'End If

End If
DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.name

I modified this line from the original
strFile = "\\cnh1\wic\rldb\securitas\signatures\sig_" & Me.VName & "_" & ".gif"

to reflect the location and name I want to save the signature as however I get an error. What am I missing? A bit more info. I get a path not found error on this line.

Open strFile For Binary Access Write As #lngFile

however if I leave TheDBGUYs code the way it was I and just take out the cleanup I still get a gif file that says it can't be opened.

Last edited:

rikklaney1

Registered User.
Local time
Ok. I solved the path problem, cause i'm an idiot and left this in the code CurrentProject.Path & before my path. Solved that problem but when I open the saved gif I get a message saying "we can't show you this file right now. Try again"

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Ok. I solved the path problem, cause i'm an idiot and left this in the code CurrentProject.Path & before my path. Solved that problem but when I open the saved gif I get a message saying "we can't show you this file right now. Try again"
Hi. Without modifying the demo, does it work for you? In the demo, try commenting out the following line to preserve the .GIF file created and see if you can open it.

Attachments

• gif.PNG
    gif.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 469

rikklaney1

Registered User.
Local time
The demo works great. For some reason though when I use the same code on another form my sig.gif is unreadable. I found a way around it by saving a screengrab of the signed form instead of saving the signature itself. Thanks for the help. That demo is pretty cool btw.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The demo works great. For some reason though when I use the same code on another form my sig.gif is unreadable. I found a way around it by saving a screengrab of the signed form instead of saving the signature itself. Thanks for the help. That demo is pretty cool btw.
Hi. Thanks. Glad to hear you found a way around the issue. We're all happy to assist. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom