Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Reports

Old 10-25-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
Lkwdmntr
Newly Registered User

Lkwdmntr is on a distinguished road
Print and Print Preview

Hello,
I'm running into a problem when I pull up a report to print. I want to view it first and then have the option to print the report. This is the code I am using right now.
DoCmd.OpenReport "Thu_Reporting_Form", acViewPreview
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdPrint
DoCmd.Close acReport, "Thu_Reporting_Form"
This does pull up the report but it is blank and the print options box is in the middle of the screen. In order for me to see the report, I have to print it first. If I hit cancel it gives me a "Runtime error 2501" the RunComand action was canceled.

I would like to see the report first and then have the option to print, and if I do hit the cancel button, is there a way to avoid the error popping up and just stay on the report view?

Lkwdmntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,405 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Print and Print Preview

So, why not just comment out the last two lines and only use the first line? Just curious...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,088 Times in 2,806 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Just use the first line of your code then use the Print Preview ribbon to print the report.

Use error handling in your form to manage error 2501. This is an example from one of my forms....
Code:
Exit_Handler:
    Exit Sub

Err_Handler:
    If Err.Number = 2501 Then Exit Sub
    MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " in cmdPrint_Click procedure : " & Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Handler

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
Lkwdmntr
Newly Registered User

Nice tip, but I don't think I'm using this properly. This is where I put the code and I still get the error box.
Private Sub Print_Click()

DoCmd.OpenReport "WeekataGlance_RPT", acViewPreview
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdPrint
Exit_Handler:
Exit Sub

Err_Handler:
MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " in cmdPrint_Click procedure : " & Err.Description
Resume Exit_Handler

End Sub
Old 10-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Hi. What happens if you simply did it this way?
Code:
Private Sub Print_Click() DoCmd.OpenReport "WeekataGlance_RPT", acViewPreview End Sub

|
|
Old 10-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

Do you have an On Error statement?

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

Gasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:44 AM   #7
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,088 Times in 2,806 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

As the last two posts indicate, you aren't doing it correctly

Just to check, is this for a button called Print on your form?

You need to add the On Error line below
I've also removed the acCmdPrint line

Code:
Private Sub Print_Click()

On Error GoTo Err_Handler

DoCmd.OpenReport "WeekataGlance_RPT", acViewPreview

Exit_Handler:
    Exit Sub

Err_Handler:
    MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " in Print_Click procedure : " & Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Handler

End Sub

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
Lkwdmntr
Newly Registered User

So the big boss wants all the forms and report views to be "Full Screen", that means, she doesn't want to see the behind the scenes work being done. It is like she is simply running an application, not seeing anything to do with access at all. She will never have the ribbon on top to access the print option.

I hope that clarifies why I am not using the advice given so far.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkwdmntr View Post
So the big boss wants all the forms and report views to be "Full Screen", that means, she doesn't want to see the behind the scenes work being done. It is like she is simply running an application, not seeing anything to do with access at all. She will never have the ribbon on top to access the print option.

I hope that clarifies why I am not using the advice given so far.
In that case, would she also be opposed to using a keyboard shortcut? Just curious...

|
|
Old 10-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
Lkwdmntr
Newly Registered User

Just went over this with my boss and she agrees with the short cut. Thanks, nice solution.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkwdmntr View Post
Just went over this with my boss and she agrees with the short cut. Thanks, nice solution.
Hi. Glad to hear it worked out. Good luck with your project.

|
|

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: