Windows 7 Scheduled Tasks (1 Viewer)

AC5FF

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:59
I've set up a scheduled task to run an EXE every morning at 9am but it does not seem to want to work.

I set up the task using the computer's ADMIN account - not my personal log in because I want this to run every day, regardless of if I am at work or not.

Under Security Options for the task; I've set it to "Run whether user is logged in or not"

Leaving it like that the task never really runs. If I log in and look at the task tomorrow it'll say 'running' and never stop unless I stop it. The EXE file never starts. Same thing will happen if I choose to run that task now.

If I change the security to 'Run only when user is logged in' the task works flawlessly - as long as I'm logged in. If I'm not; the task will not run.

Any ideas on what may be happening or how to fix it?

Thanks!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:59
One option would be to leave the computer logged in but locked.

AC5FF

Registered User.
Local time
I thought about that - but i wanted to be sure it continued to run if say the computer gets reset over a long weekend.
I'm running another test tonight - if that doesn't work I may resort to this method. And on the odd times I get logged out than I'll just have to do some manual updating/etc.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:59
I'll look at my settings in work tomorrow.
I have backups running in the evening on win10, but it should be the same.
What happens if you run the task manually from the scheduler?

AC5FF

Registered User.
Local time
Running the task manually from the scheduler:
If I have 'run only when logged in' selected the task runs fine
if I have 'run whether user is logged in or not' the task does not run at all.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Hmm, I have mine running under the main user for the PC and whether logged on or not.
The PC acts as a server, and noone is ever logged on directly. I logon with Remote Desktop to monitor it.
Have you tried the SYSTEM account?

However going into it today, I have a log that says completed and then another that says it was terminated about 5 hours later. I just check the sync log and know that it took a few attempts to get it running daily. It would run every 3 days previously. I have another PC on which it does that, but that if fine for that PC.
I believe the 3 days is something to do with the Terminate after period option which defaults to 3 days.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Try deleting and re entering the task.?
I found that only on my third attempt with exactly the same details would the task run every night as it is meant to.
Sounds illogical, but I'm just happy it is now working as it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom