New Database Help (1 Viewer)

jzwp22

Access Hobbyist
Local time
Yesterday, 22:58
I had a question about splitting. Would this allow multiple users to use the database at once?

Yes, for Access 2003, you can have up to 255 concurrent users (not sure which version you are using--you can check Microsoft's website for specs on other versions)

If two people are working on data entry how does the db know how to store the data without overwriting

If entering new records, Access uses the primary key field to distinguish records.

If editing existing records, Access will lock the record being edited so only one user can edit at a time.

I know it is a continous connection from FE to BE but how does it work with two users?

As long as there is a bound form open in any of the front ends, Access maintains the connection to the backend.

Could I still split and use the FE on the network drive?

No, doing this can corrupt the front end and possibly the backend.

Can't I just convert the .mdb to and .mde for the user to run?

I'm not sure I understand your question. I haven't worked with Access runtime, but I thought it was geared more for those who did not have Access loaded on their computers. Even in the runtime you would still have front and backends.

I don't want to deploy FE's to each computer because there are only a select few people that will use the database

Just deploy the frontend to those who will be using the database. You can even split the database for yourself to try it out. Split the database, put the backend on the server and the frontend on your harddrive and see how it works. Then when you need to have others use it, just give them a copy of the frontend.

chacha

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:58
Hi guys,

So I don't know if I am over my head yet but I'm sure trying and learning. I would greatly appreciate any help.

So here is the situation:
I have been given a couple tasks but i think I need to focus on one portion of it and get it running like we want. I have attached an example of the form that we use to fill out information. We want the information from the form to be able to be searched which brings up the changes, types of changes, engineers, etc. in a query. These are internal forms that our employees need to fill out for different jobs. So pretty much a data entry form for our department.

This is what I have so far:
I have a table with a list of about 40 employees; ID, Name, Email, Phone, Office. Trying to keep it simple at first. I have one form which is the one I have attached. I have drop down boxes for each 6 of the employees with the specific role they have in the project. The top box uses the employees table for the list. The other drop boxes I just entered the names since there were only a few in each one. Now this is where I am stuck. What is my next step? I'm guessing I will have mostly all text boxes now that will store the information that gets entered. I just need help setting one up and I can do the rest but i have no idea how to do it properly. Do I make the blank tables? How do i make a FrontEnd and BackEnd? How do i get the form useful for the employees to enter data? These are just a few questions I wanted to know. There not really spelled out in tutorials to well.

Sorry for being such a noob! Thanks so much for any help! Let me know if you need any more information.[/quote]

Attachments

• 01018635.mdb
    476 KB · Views: 124

chacha

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:58
Hi
I am attaching the Receipes file which has opened in ACCESS,i have a problem i wanted:
1. Add the inventory of all item and there should be facilities avaliable for insert and delete any item and 2.I want to add the outlets at least four outlets or restaurant available and they should provide the consolidate of all four outlet inventory individual and altogether.
3.i wanted to add the storage faciliites (i.e)i wanted to store the yearly data and when i want to see the consumption of any item of any outlet they would provide the detail and FIFO BASIS.

would you like to help out the above point.

i wanted to attached the Receipes with inventory! and inventory stored and i can easily view the data

CHACHA

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:58
I'm just trying to get a basic understanding of how the security works, I was just giving a background to what they want. I know splitting is the best way. Just wanted to see if there were other options as well.

Thanks jzwp22! I'll play with it. I couldn't have gotten this far without your help!

jzwp22

Access Hobbyist
Local time
Yesterday, 22:58
You're welcome. Good luck with your project.

saip15

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:58
chacha :) haha , i think your going about getting help all wrong. Patience! And like I said before, you might get more help starting a new thread so people will see it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom