including word doc with fields (1 Viewer)

brugman

Local time
Today, 06:02
i have a problem with a report.

We need an official document from word filled with data we retreive with a query.

Prefferably we use only access for the whole process.

It concerns a document for delivery declaration, which we want to automaticly fill in order number, a reference, the address of the receiver and a few other things.

what i get to work:
A query gets me the data i need.
I know a word document can be merged with the content of a query.
I can program a button to get me to run the query.
I know how to embed a word document as an OLE-object in a report.

What i do not get right is having the data from the query into that OLE object. I did not find how yet, if it's even possible.

What we want is:
One button that activates the query that in turn asks the delivery sheet number.
Once the number entered , we want a proper file with all the variale data filled in.
and that printed.

What we have tried already:
  • Entering the word document as a nole object and placing the fields ove rit in the respective places.
This works, but is kinda messy.

• seperating the word document over textfields and combining the strings and fields.
This works also, is nicer the the previous, but some format is lost as you can only set he style for the whole text field and not for seperate parts. Like we like the name of the recepient bold, for instance.

Who knows how we can solve this?

Preferable done in access as we do not have office and/or word installed everywhere. We like not to be dependent on an other program other then the database. Not every one here is capable of complex program manipulation.
We are a sheltered workspace.

thanks, Greetings, Brugman.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
I think it only can be done if you used fields in the Word document where you want to put in text from the query, (order number, reference, the address)!
But why do you not make a report which looked like the Word document?

brugman

Local time
because i can only use one type of format for each textfield. We would like to have the filled in parts to be in bold. i can string strings together with &, but i can only use one format. It works with recreating the word document, but it's not the most elegant result.

I was looking for a more elegant way, while avoiding to resort to word. We can't depend on having word on all the computers if we for instance create a selfsustaining database through access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom