Simple query help please! (1 Viewer)

ABDN Student

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:15
Hi all,
I really do require some help for a university project and as you can probably tell from below my knowledge of access is "limited" to say the least.

I am using MS Access 2007.

I wish to create a query that will when I enter the registration of a car, pull up what type of car it is and a short description of the car.

The tables I have created are:
1) Car registration and type of car
2) Description of car

Please note for simplicity that the registration for each cure is simply a single number.

Please note also that the description for each car is for each "type" of car not for each individual car.

However every time I create a query I run into problems. I run the query and I get the full list of car descriptions and registration. I simply want a query that does the following:
1) I enter the registration
2) Query displays car description and type of car

I just want the results to display when I physically enter the registration in the query, not just give me the whole LIST when I run the query.

I have attached a screenshot of my relationship and query. Also I have attatched a screenshot of the query results that I don't want.

I would be REALLY REALLY grateful if someone on this forum could help me out and tell me what is wrong with the relationships and query I have done.

Many thanks,

Ross

Attachments

• Query.JPG
    Query.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Relationship.JPG
    Relationship.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Wrong query result.JPG
    Wrong query result.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 82

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Add:

[Enter Registration]

in the criteria row under the registration field in the query grid.

ABDN Student

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for getting back to me. Tried that and it works!

However what I would really like to do is not have to use a pop up box that requires me to enter the registration.

I would like to enter in the registration in the query itself and then beside it the description and type of car would appear. This is because I wish to use the query as the basis of a mileage form which will allow me to enter data.

I have found a clip on you tube that shows the sort of thing I would like to be able to do:
1)User enters the cd number
2)Query displays all the relevant info about the particular cd.

I just don't understand the explanation given in the video and I dont seem to be able to do the same thing in my query.

I have attatched a screenshot of the youtube clip. Also here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8kmMv2Ang0&feature=related

Ross

Attachments

• you tube.JPG
    you tube.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 77

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 19:15
you say you'd like to "enter in the registration in the query itself" but, you have to take that literally. do you want to see the query every time and enter it there? i doubt it. so, if you don't want to do what baldy suggests, the question is: where do you want to enter the registration? probably a form. then, your query has to "read the form". query criteria: Forms!frmReg!txtEnterReg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom