Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > Access World News

Old 09-24-2015, 03:10 AM   #1
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Thanked 1,891 Times in 62 Posts
Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future
EU Cookie Privacy Laws - popups coming

The EU Cookie privacy law requires that any EU visitor must be presented with a notification that cookies are used. We already have a privacy statement on the site but that is not enough nowadays. They want something more intrusive. That means a popup.

So, in the near future you will see a popup in the bottom right hand corner of the page. You can click the Ok button to hide it again but after a period of time it will appear again.

I hate popups, I hate this EU law implimentation, but I now have no choice. It also means that all visitors will get these popups, as I cannot distinguish where each visitor is from.

What are your thoughts on this?

Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
spikepl
Eledittingent Beliped

spikepl is a jewel in the rough spikepl is a jewel in the rough spikepl is a jewel in the rough
Re: EU Cookie Privacy Laws - popups coming

A friend runs a commercial B2C & B2B site and while moving to a new system spent some money on implementation of this cookie-warning thing. Ultimately he decided to dump it, saying "let them sue me"

It is one of the more idiotic things the know-nothing Eu-imbecils have decreed there. Millions must have been spent on this "#%"%"!! Makes me wonder, why don't we have demands to have "mind the traffic" signs painted alongside all roads?

Update: as to "popups" - I've seen many less obnoxious implementations with some stripe of semi-transparent text sliding in from top or bottom, or some little square thingy from the side, so it can be done rather more tastefully, sort of,

Don't tell us what did not happen.
Do you tell the mechanic about your car "it doesn't work" or vague stuff like:
I couldn't, No joy, To no avail, No go
, Incorrect, Wrong, Seems, Without success, It didn't let me, I/it failed.

Do tell us what did happen
:

I want this ... to happen, I attempted this ..., using this ... code and pressing these buttons, the system did this ... in response, and I got this ... error in this ... line.

Did it help? Pass it forward!

Joys of Access:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by spikepl; 09-24-2015 at 10:52 AM.
spikepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future

What has turned the whole thing up a notch is that Google - who supply most of our advertising on the site - are saying we have to implement a system by the end of the month. They have not said what will happen if we don't, but they could well turn off the ads. This will result in losing revenue that supports this site.

Website publishers around the world are all talking about this because it affects everyone. Even if you have a site in the USA, designed for USA visitors, you need the popup because you *may* get a visitor from the EU. The whole thing sucks.

I want to keep this whole site as clean as possible for you guys but I am forced into a popup. Indeed, I will try to find the most tasteful one I can find. I am thinking about having it in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

I've spent ages on this so far and I won't even know for sure if my implementation will be classified as acceptable or not. The guidelines are as vague as anything, suggesting different countries have different rules, blah blah. I hate this!!

I know its about privacy, but frankly I couldn't care less if someone has my IP address logged on a database somewhere. Its not like they are singling me out and publishing a web article saying I've been doing this and that. Its all a big waste of time in my view. One simple EU policy causing millions of website owners to implement a stupid system of popups that annoy hundreds of millions of internet users!

Jon
Old 09-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
ozinm
Human Coffee Siphon

ozinm is on a distinguished road

Just out of interest, what code are you planning to use?
I've seen this one being used on a few sites and it doesn't seem that hard to implement.
https://silktide.com/tools/cookie-consent/
There's even a wizard to help generate some code here:
https://silktide.com/tools/cookie-consent/download/
ozinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,978 Posts
jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light

silktide Seems quite straightforward if it meets all requirements. Hopefully, someone could confirm this. Seems it would take some burden/frustration away from Jon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:36 AM   #6
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Yes, Silktide is one we have already put on another site and it is likely I will put it on this site too. What I am not so keen about is that the edge of it will go into the bottom right thread column. You will see what I mean when it is implemented. I would have preferred one where you can scroll and never have it cover any of the thread area.

Checkout our homepage. I have implemented the cookie popup there. If anyone finds a less intrusive one that I can put in the bottom right hand corner, let me know.

Jon

Last edited by Jon; 09-25-2015 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:55 AM   #7
AnthonyGerrard
Newly Registered User

AnthonyGerrard is on a distinguished road

As user of site - doesn't bother me in the slightest, if that was the question.

AnthonyGerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:05 AM   #8
Jon
Access World Site Owner

I've added a popup, but would prefer a narrower one that doesn't overlap into the thread text. Anyone know of one?

Jon
Old 09-29-2015, 02:54 AM   #9
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,030 Times in 996 Posts
gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all

Jon

fwiw, I hadn't noticed any change at all.
Certainly nothing to interfere with my practical use of the forums.
There have been no popups.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to dismiss an occasional popup, though.

Perhaps you could remove the popups for paid-for members?

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the bottom left of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:16 AM   #10
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,978 Posts
jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light

Jon,
I have received the pop up. I don't think it is taking away from the page. I have seen similar on other pages recently --one had a strip across the bottom of the page.

I don't know what customization is available, and I am not a javascript /html/css person. Perhaps the size of the pop up can be reduced by means of smaller font(s) to reduce the amount of screen real estate occupied.

jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
ozinm
Human Coffee Siphon

ozinm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I've added a popup, but would prefer a narrower one that doesn't overlap into the thread text. Anyone know of one?
Hi Jon,
It looks ok to me but if you want, have a look at the silktide wizard page. There's options for a bottom bar instead.
https://silktide.com/tools/cookie-consent/download/

The Advanced docs also say you can define your own css theme as well if needed.
https://silktide.com/tools/cookie-co.../installation/
ozinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:10 AM   #12
Tieval
Still Clueless

Tieval is on a distinguished road

The EU laws also state that all business websites must have full contact details, including postal address on every single page.

You may notice this is being ignored as well
Tieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #13
spikepl
Eledittingent Beliped

spikepl is a jewel in the rough spikepl is a jewel in the rough spikepl is a jewel in the rough

EU is full of it! (and I am otherwise a supporter of EU)

Don't tell us what did not happen.
Do you tell the mechanic about your car "it doesn't work" or vague stuff like:
I couldn't, No joy, To no avail, No go
, Incorrect, Wrong, Seems, Without success, It didn't let me, I/it failed.

Do tell us what did happen
:

I want this ... to happen, I attempted this ..., using this ... code and pressing these buttons, the system did this ... in response, and I got this ... error in this ... line.

Did it help? Pass it forward!

Joys of Access:

spikepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:04 AM   #14
Jon
Access World Site Owner

@Tieval, do you have a link to this law about every page needing full contact details? Its stupid! What is a Contact page for then?

Jon
Old 10-02-2015, 05:09 AM   #15
Tieval
Still Clueless

Tieval is on a distinguished road

The following is a quick example:

http://www.out-law.com/page-7594

Tieval is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: