Protect Confidential Data w/ Web Based Interface? (1 Viewer)

arvdot

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:52
Hello, I need some help:eek:.

I am designing a database application that will store users telephone records and allow them to view only theirs. This information needs to be kept secure. I have implemented ADS login authorizations, made the system runtime, and blocked out any overriding abilities for users (ctrl break, shift). I was planning on handing out the runtime application, but as I suspected, I cannot do this for security reasons. In addition, not everyone has an ADS mapped machine (this isn't a big problem at all though).

I need to figure out a way to limit a user to only view content in my database, without handing out an executable that is linked to the back end. What I imagine I must do is construct a web server that will limit access to the back end, preventing the client computer from ever being directly linked to the database. Now, I have been reading the forums over and scanned the internet and I've read that IIS, MOSS, ASP, VB.NET all can be capable of doing this. Now, what I would like to know is what is everyone's opinion on the matter and how I should go about doing this. I do not have any experience with web design really, but I imagine I can pick it up fast. (it took me about a week to get Access completely down).

If there are better database systems to do this in (as I imagine there are), I would love to hear what they are, as I need to find a medium between ease of use and security.

By the way, the database does not require data entry at any point. It is merely to view!

Thanks!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:52
(it took me about a week to get Access completely down).

LOL...... Well you don't need my help then!

arvdot

Registered User.
Local time
(it took me about a week to get Access completely down).

LOL...... Well you don't need my help then!

Naturally an overstatement. Regardless, I'm up for the challenge of having to learn to use ASP or any other application that will get what I need done.

DanG

Registered User.
Local time
I read that "Learn Access in 24hours" and I'm golden now :D

Sorry I couldn't resist, too funny :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom