Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > SQL Server

Old 02-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
Rx_
Nothing In Moderation

Rx_ has a spectacular aura about Rx_ has a spectacular aura about Rx_ has a spectacular aura about
Using IIF in query for Linked Tables SQL Server 2012

In SQL Server 2012, the T-SQL languaged added the IIF. The IIF is actually a wrapper that converts to a T-SQL Case statement during runtime.

My SQL Server is 2008R2. The IIF is not part of the T-SQL language.
My MS Access 2010 uses a DSN-Less connection using SQL Server Native Client 11.0 (the latest one for SQL Server 2013).

Does the ODBC (Native Client) translate the IIF in an Access Query into a Case statement for the SQL Server side?

For speed purposes, I am trying to determine if to invest the overhead in re-writing Stored Procedures with Case statements - or if the ODBC is doing the job for me anyway?

Quotation Thomas Jefferson: "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."

There are 2 Kinds of Countries on this Planet
1. Those that use the Metric System
2. Those that had a man walk on the moon

Denver, Colorado - The "Mile High City" - non-metric!
Rx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,486 Times in 1,402 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold
Re: Using IIF in query for Linked Tables SQL Server 2012

Yes. ODBC does the translation.

A stored procedure on the server will be slightly faster because it has a stored execution plan. However you probably won't notice the difference on a lightly loaded server.

Eliminating the need to build the execution plan is more important for reducing the load on a busy server.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galaxiom For This Useful Post:
Rx_ (02-20-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Rx_
Nothing In Moderation

Rx_ has a spectacular aura about Rx_ has a spectacular aura about Rx_ has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Using IIF in query for Linked Tables SQL Server 2012

Thanks for the confirmation.
It is what I expected, and I incidently won the bet.
If you get to visite the topside, I owe you half the winnings (a cup of coffee).

Quotation Thomas Jefferson: "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."

There are 2 Kinds of Countries on this Planet
1. Those that use the Metric System
2. Those that had a man walk on the moon

Denver, Colorado - The "Mile High City" - non-metric!
Rx_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iif , native client 11.0 , odbc , query , t-sql 2008r2

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: