Sharing Tables With Two (2) Different Databases (1 Viewer)

lhooker

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:55
Is it possible to share tables with two (2) different databases ? To clarify . . . I have a database that collects data into tables (via form) that are needed to produce reports by a different database.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 00:55
Yes it is possible. In fact it is perfectly normal to do so in split databases where tables in a common backend database are linked to each copy of the frontend database.

However, you need to realise the tables will be 'live' in each database so any changes made in one database will be picked up in the other database

lhooker

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:55
Ridders,

Great, that what I need. How can I achieve this ? Are there any examples ? What code is needed ?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 00:55
Billions of examples!
Just link to the tables you want from each of your databases

To create linked tables go to External Data ... Import ... Access.
Select Link to the data source then browse to the external database and select the table(s) you want

NOTE: you can also IMPORT the tables but this will create new separate copies of each table which you don't want

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:55
And to be explicit, you seem to be talking abut having two back ends. Yes, you can do that. Click once on your External Data ... Import ... Access ... Link path for each external file. You can create links for tables in back-end A and other links for tables in back-end B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom