What does "Disk or network error" mean? (1 Viewer)

hammerva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:49
Hello again. :)

Recently I have been getting the message 'Disk or network error' when trying to open up a database. The database with the forms is located on my hard drive while the main database with tables are located on the network 'K' drive. After I got the message I checked to see if the drive was down and I didn't have problem opening and looking at stuff.

What are the main reasons for this error? Could be occur if someone is using the database at the same time? Or is this just an issue with the directory that is holding the database.

Thanks

jfgambit

Kinetic Card Dealer
Local time
Check to make sure that you are connected to the K: drive.

Also, from my experience, it's best to map out to the full path name of the drive instead of the "Drive Letter" shortcut.

I'm sure others will have additional ideas.

hammerva

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah I checked it out. Now I don't have a problem getting in and I didn't change anything.

Although a number of people using the application was having problems getting in as well. Someone had locked it up but I am not sure who. I am not sure if the locking occured because of the 'Disk or network error' or because someone exit the application wrong or something else. Eventually I got the LDB taken care of by telling everyone to get out.

My DBA skills really stink sometimes. :mad:

jfgambit

Kinetic Card Dealer
Local time
This may help...

Attached is a db that you can use in your applications to stop users from getting out of the database from anywhere except the main switchboard (it stops the "X" exiting). Also, you may want to look into splitting your database so that each user has a local front-end and the back-end (containing the tables) sits on your server. Finally, check to make sure no one is opening the database in "Exclusive" mode instead of "Shared".

HTH

Attachments

• 108126-disable x example2000.zip
    24.9 KB · Views: 334

hammerva

Registered User.
Local time
So someone can lock a database by exiting an application with the 'Close' button on the window? That doesn't make sense. I have an command button that says "Exit Project control system'. But the 'X' is available for the user.

jfgambit

Kinetic Card Dealer
Local time
I've had problem in the past with users being in the middle of editing a record, deciding to get out of the db (lunch is a very important time) and just "X"ing out of the database. They have caused ERROR# in records or locked a record out because of this. I just like to be safe and disable the "X" function. It doesn't mean it is the problem with you db, I was just suggesting some things that might help eliminate future problems.

HTH

K

Kent Tschoepe

NT and Access

Just curious, is the database residing on a NT server? Back in 1997, I worked at a company that moved all of its databases from a Novell server to a NT server and we instantly started receiving the "Disk or Network Error." We moved the databases back to Novell and never received the error again.

Rainbows8

Local time
Today, 16:49
Hi All,

I am no programmer, but I do have a lil knowledge, and I too am having this issue with my BE mdb. I have been Googling this issue over and over, and to no avail, and it's frustrating as ****:banghead:. Today, I found this article from MS (knowledge base article 160907: Mastering Series: Run Time Error 3043 Disk or Network Error)....I honestly do not know if this solution will work, but it's worth a try. It says to create a Temp folder in C:\

So C:\Temp.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom