MS Office 2010 update caused Missing Reference MSO.DLL and MSOffice15 Object Library (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 11:12
Running the MS Office 2020 Update fixed the Microsoft Office 15.0 Object Library (missing reference). But, now created the MSO.DLL missing reference.

MSO.DLL Missing reference suddenly shows up after MS Office update
This happened in Access 2007
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=169230

Development: Access 2010 on Windows 7 Enterprise 32-Bit
Deployment: Citrix calls on Access 2010 on Windows Server 2008 r2 64-Bit
(both are 32 bit MS Office)

Note: in the modules Tools - Reference there is not, never has been a reference to MSO.DLL This message is very specific "Missing or broken reference to the file 'MSO.DLL' version 2.7

My workstation has a MSO.DLL for Office 14 18M date 3/23/2010
My workstation has a MSO.DLL for Office 15 24M date 10/1/2012
They are in folder Office14 and Office15 on C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared
NOTE: We have NOT installed Office 2013 anywhere. However, the IT dept is just starting to replace Groupwise with Outlook. The Citrix Application Server was only updated for MS Office last night.
The Office Update for Office 2010 fixed a broken reference for an Microsoft Office 114.0 Object Library - that suddenly (on the Win 7) became Microsoft Office 15.0 Object library. The Workstation probably got the update where the Windows 2008 Application Server didn't get the update.
Last Night, the Windows 2008 Application Server ran the MS Office update.
This morning, the broken reference to Office 15.0 went away.

But, now the MSO.DLL appeared.
This might be part of a new Microsoft Application code name LIME.

Last edited:

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
When deploying a Split Database (front-end, back-end) on Citrix, there is typically a Development Workstation and a Citrix Application Server.
In my situation, Access report objects are not used. All reports are created with code using Excel Object Model Programming.

It is very important that both Workstation and Application Server environments maintain the same object libraries. Most of these are typically found in the code module menu Tools --> References See attachment

Not long ago, the development workstation had different behavior. A blank MS Access DB was created. All objects were moved into the blank database. Then, all of the Tools --> References were re-checked. At this point (see attachment) it was noticed that a new Microsoft Office 15.0 Object Library had appeared, the previous Microsoft Office 14.0 Object Library on the archives was nowhere to be found in the list.

When deploying this new MS Access front-end on the Citrix Application Server, the error Missing Reference to Microsoft Office 15.0 Object Library is Missing.

The order was given to the IT staff to run the Microsoft Office 2010 update on the Citrix Application Server (and reboot).
The next morning, re-deploying the Access 2010 application again, the previous broken reference didn't appear. However a new error
MSO.DLL version 2.7 reference is missing appeared.

This would indicate that the MS Office 2010 update adds the Office 2013 objects.

In a past post on this forum site, sometimes the MSO.DLL did not register.
While waiting on the IT staff, there is not a solution at this point.
The suggestion is to manually register the new MSO.DLL on the Application Server.

Attachments

• Office 2010 Development Microsoft Office MSO DLL missing.png
    Office 2010 Development Microsoft Office MSO DLL missing.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,858
  • Office 2010 Development Microsoft Office 15.0 Object Library.png
    Office 2010 Development Microsoft Office 15.0 Object Library.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,394
  • Office 2010 Development Microsoft Office 15.0 objects appear after Office 2010 Update.jpg
    Office 2010 Development Microsoft Office 15.0 objects appear after Office 2010 Update.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,155

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Solved -
In a different thread, I was telling someone planning for Citrix deployment to add a function IsItRx - When I log in, I have full menu if is is a non-compiled version - users have no menues and use my custom interface.

See the Tools- reference on the previous post. Microsoft Office 14.0 Office Object Library no longer showed up in the list in the References.
1. Uncheck MS Office 15.0 Object Library
2. Use the Browse button - see shortcut above - navigate to the MSO.DLL in the Office 14 directory and select.

Since MSO.DLL for Office 15 didn't register in the Citrix Application Server, my workstation didn't match it. By forcing my workstation to match MSO.DLL for 14 knowing that MSO.DLL for 14 existed on the Application Server - we have a match.

And to think, we thought the old DLL Hell was a myth!

At the risk of being accused (again) of answering my own question, hopefully this will help the rare instance of this for some future Citrix person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom