Design Changes to an ACCDE (1 Viewer)

ALewis06

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:04
So I've created my DB, split it, housed the backend on a shared drive, and converted the frontend to an ACCDE file. Each month, I will need to make small changes to the design of about 5 of the queries before refreshing the data. What's the best way to do this? I'm pretty sure I don't have to upload a new backend to the network every time, right?

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 17:04
.. Each month, I will need to make small changes to the design of about 5 of the queries before refreshing the data. ...
Why do you need that?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:04
You use the original accdb file to make the changes, create a new accde when you're done. You'd then distribute that to users using whatever method you've selected. From the sound of it, no changes to the back end.

By the way, it sounds like you've got a design issue if you have to do this monthly. What kind of changes are you making?

ALewis06

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:04
@pbaldy I'm sure it is design issues, due to my lack of knowledge on how to address the changes my team wants via query design. Every month, the most current revenue that had been previously forecasted is now closed and in the books so it is data that is no longer housed in the Assumptions table but now shows up in the Revenue table. Both tables are then joined to form a query and report that will give the team a cumulative view of revenue closed and (projected) assumption.

Each month I have to go in switch the data source for the most current month.

I know this is a high level summary but I didn't want to bore you with the minutia of tables and queries that got me to this point. That's another post by which I could possibly resolve the issue.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:04
you should be able to achieve that with a standard setup.

maybe have a form that selects the active month - and then use your tables to select the data you need to display.

if you have a month end procedure of some sort to "close" the working "assumptions" table, and move the data to the revenue table - that ought to be something that works irrespective of the actual month.

you should be able to design all this without needing to recode each month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom