Adding Text after a report runs (1 Viewer)

tsmithjr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:02
I have a report that after it runs I would like to allow the user to add dynamic text to it so when it is saved\printed it has it on the report.

The report gathers a running total, once that total is displayed we use another system to generate a transaction number that I would like to add to the report.

I've created an unbound text box with =InputBox("","Transaction Number") as it's control source but it pops up before the totals are displayed...

I've also tried a unbound text box where the user can just type in after the report runs but the numbers they enter don't print or get saved...

Any help is greatly appreciated

Tom

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 13:02
This doesn't really make sense.

1. Why do you need to know what is on a report before you assign a Transaction Number to it? Does the total somehow influence the Transaction number?

2. Is this other system in Access as well? Can you tie them together?

3. Define 'get saved'. I assume you are exporting the report to a .rtf or .pdf and then saving it outside Access, correct?

4. No where in your description did you say the Transaction number gets saved to a table in the database. Is that true? Just on the report itself?

tsmithjr

Registered User.
Local time
The report gathers a running total, once that total is displayed we use that total in another system to generate a transaction number that I then would like to add to the report.

Yes, Saved as pdf.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 11:02
I wouldn't do any data entry or input or anything like that in report. A report, to me, is for printing stored data. Any business process, including the creation of transaction numbers and/or other storage constraints should be handled in a form during a normal data entry process, and permanently stored in the table. A report does not allow for the kind of interactivity you are talking about.

hth
Mark

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 13:02
I think you should make a form to do this. This is the layout and how that form should work:

At the top is a control to display the total the report is going to show (using a Dlookup/DSum into the query the report is based on).

You take that total to the external system and generate your Transaction Number.

Next on the new form is an input area for that Transaction Number. Input it then..

Click the 'Generate Report' button. It will take the Transaction Number entered and generate the correct report.

tsmithjr

Registered User.
Local time
Well there was a super simple solution...

Create an unbound text box on my Report and make it's control source a non existent source...it then prompts you to enter a parameter Value and I can enter my transaction number and then print my report.

Thanks for your replies and solutions

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom