Change multiple field types simultaneously (1 Viewer)

vatechman3

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:32
Hello All,
Using Access2010

I imported a spreadsheet with 200 fields to create a new table (already had the names typed out). The import made each field type "text." Question - Can I update multiple fields simultaneously to be another type?
Specifically I would like all of the fields to be combo boxes with choices of A - D. The field names are very specific, so I did not want to have to rename.

Thanks in advance

VA

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:32
A data type isn't a combo box. A combo box is a way of entering or displaying information on a form.

If your data has A,B,C or D in it already then text is the correct data type.

vatechman3

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks,
I want all of the fields to default to be lookups (combo box/drop down style).

vatechman3

Registered User.
Local time
Got ya, so would the best way to do it be changing it on the Form?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:32
You got it. Keep tables simple - they store data that's it.
Pretties and functionality are what forms are for ! :)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:32
It is extremely rare to see a normalized table with 200 fields in relational database.
I suggest you review normalization and some database design concepts. Then identify the possible tables your 200 fields are associated with.

More on normalization.
It would help if you told us a little about the 200 fields involved.

vatechman3

Registered User.
Local time
Basically, we have a client that wants to do a survey. The survey contains 200 items, each item they want broken down further,
Ex. Is this item critical, if yes, when will this item take place, where, etc. (hence all of the drop downs)
So to keep all results unique we get individual scores for each item. So 200 is an understatement, its more like 1000 questions asked by the end of the day.. Access is the tool we have.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Basically, we have a client that wants to do a survey. The survey contains 200 items, each item they want broken down further,
Ex. Is this item critical, if yes, when will this item take place, where, etc. (hence all of the drop downs)
So to keep all results unique we get individual scores for each item. So 200 is an understatement, its more like 1000 questions asked by the end of the day.. Access is the tool we have.

So what you really have is a master file for "Individual", a master file for "Question", and a linking file with the unique ID for both Individual and question plus a field for "Answer".

This would let you add new questions as needed, skip storing answers for questions that don't need to be asked, and avoid a LOT of headaches when people decide to make changes.

The only tricky bit would be working out if you have conditional questions (dependent upon the answers to others) and how you want to handle them.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:32
The subject "Questionnaire" has occurred many times in this forum. Why don't you do a search on that subject? See if anything mentioned in it relates even remotely to what you are trying to do.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:32
So 200 is an understatement, its more like 1000 questions asked by the end of the day.. Access is the tool we have.

Access can't handle more than 255 fields in a table or query. Even at that number there are serious limitations to manipulating data.

So you are definitely going to have to move away from the one field per question design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom