Access 97 and ODBC

doulostheou

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:40
I've been spoiled by newer versions of Access, but I'm going back into my past to try to support a client who is still utilizing Access 97. We are going to get them on the newest version, but they have some proprietary software developed in VB that interacts with various Access Databases and an old SQL Server and everything breaks when you upgrade Access. So we are going to move them over in stages. Until then, I need to build a sync tool in Access 97 that will keep the new system in sync with the old.

My first step is to setup ODBC connections to the SQL Server, and I can't seem to figure out how to do this in Access 97. I'm not seeing any way to select data from an ODBC database in the Link Tables Dialog, which is what I thought I did when I first started working with ODBC connections, but I may have been onto Access 2003 at that point. Any shove in the right direction would be appreciated. I know it is possible, because I can see lots of databases they have on their network that already have these connections setup. I'm hoping I don't have to do anything in VBA, as I'm not sure they know the username and password. There is an existing System DSN Data Source that I am hoping I can just use.

doulostheou

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:40
In case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, I did find it. Go to File/Get External Data/Link Tables and there is a Files of type dropdown towards the bottom left. I didn't see what I needed at first, because you have to scroll. One of the options is ODBC Databases and then it pulls up the dialog to Select Data Source.

I do have a follow up question though. Is there any way to see where a linked table is stored? The only DSN entry I have does not contain the tables I see linked, but the links still work so I must have access to wherever these tables are stored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom