Emails generated from Access 2003 include ATT00001.bin for some recipients (1 Viewer)

lespritdelescalier

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:54
Hello!

I have created a small application which generates PDF invoices and emails them to our customers. In many cases, these customers have a system on the other end which accepts the PDF and enters it in to their AP system.

We send invoices to about 150 customers a day, and most report no issues at all (and the invoices get paid :) ). With several customers, we've had responses that the emails we send include two attachments: the PDF invoice, and a file named ATT00001.bin (or htm, or something else).

In my past experience, I've seen this happen mostly with MS Exchange when receiving an email from a google mail server, however, I'm sure it can happen with other combinations of mail servers as well. My company is using a google mail server to send its email, but I am not sure what systems our customers are using. Most of the people I have contact with at these other companies are ones in the finance department.

I did a little searching on this issue, and found two things. This issue can happen when:

- there are non-ASCII characters in the email message
- the attachment is added to the email before the text

I can confirm there are no non-ASCII characters in the email - the email body is a string, and it is literally one sentence long. In my code, I have created the text portion of the email prior to creating the attachment, but I am not sure if Access changes the order.

I am creating the email using the following code:

Code:
Set objEmail = CreateObject("CDO.Message")

and assigning the properties of objEmail using the following: (I've left out some of the other properties, as they are all assigned the same way)

Code:
objEmail.Textbody = sMessage
objEmail.AddAttachment sAttach

Any help with this issue would be appreciated!

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 01:54
email servers sometimes create ATT00001.bin as an attachment by breaking up the images on the email body and include them in this attachment.
They are really useless.

lespritdelescalier

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:54
I guess I should have mentioned that the second attachment is causing issues with some of our customers, so I'm looking for something I can do to prevent the attachment from being created.

I am not including any images in the emails that are created.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom