Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > Web Design and Development

Old 03-14-2019, 03:01 AM   #1
Drner
Newly Registered User

Drner is on a distinguished road
Pre-Development Questions

Hello!

I am prepping to write my first program (ever! ) after not finding something that suits my needs. And it may seem odd to ask, but I'd like to know the best route in programming language I should use.

My focus is to keep a simple inventory on my computer that I can periodically synch--by plugging in URL/username/password--with online generated data. Is this a simple enough program for a first-timer? (Info from web to desktop).

So here are my questions:

What language would you use to synch data on the desktop from data online? There are auction programs that do this, I understand. Is this the same as an RSS type of browser-tool?

If I had a very basic inventory I'd like to periodically synch, would you write a VB program? Code an Excel sheet? Find an OpenSource project, gut it and customize for your particular needs?

If website-related Sitepoint may be a bit off-target for my needs--and if I can be so bold to ask--would you kindly recommend an equally respected forum that caters to programmers?

My progamming level: I am an intermediate CSS/HTML user with manual assisted PHP/MySQL skills. I plan to research and learn the appropriate languages needed for the project I have in mind.

I thank you kindly for any and all input you may have!

Drner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:34 AM   #2
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo
Re: Pre-Development Questions

I'm not sure I entirely grasp the gist of your question , there's a lot there, and I'm lazy! If you're asking for recommendations on how to link your PC to data on the web, then if I had to do this, never having done it before, then I would probably go with XL but my choice would be because it's based on VBA which I have a reasonable grasp of. So in other words my choice wouldn't be that this is the best program, but it's the best program for me. My other choice would be Python, I have very little experience with Python, however there is a wealth of information on it, freely available on the internet. Again that would be my reasoning, how easy it is to find a solution and get help implementing that solution.

Another choice I might make, would be something like Google or Amazon. In other words an online solution, because I really need to learn one of those! Mind you having said those two, I do understand that Microsoft is making some serious advances into cloud stuff.

Anyway re-reading my response I don't think I've really helped you! Let's hope you get some other responses, I'm sure you will!
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:11 AM   #3
plog
AWF VIP

Thanked 2,231 Times in 2,184 Posts
plog is a jewel in the rough plog is a jewel in the rough plog is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pre-Development Questions

Yeah, you didn't provide enough details. It was mostly focused on what happens in the middle, not what the 2 endpoints look like. Those end points will drive this. So--

Tell us about where the online data is now. How do/will you consume it? Do you have a direct link to the database it is in? Or will you need to scrape a page?

Tell us about where the data is going once scraped. What will you be doing with it? What's the ultimate end product? Some printable report for management? A spreadsheet you can look at?

plog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: