Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > VB.NET

Old 04-09-2019, 12:51 AM   #1
bjsteyn
Newly Registered User

bjsteyn is on a distinguished road
Is LAST_INSERT_ID mysql user specific?

Just got a query i'm inserting records into a table the an auto counter primary key lets say its called ID.

After i insert a record i fetch the new unique ID created with SELECT last_insert_id() FROM mytable to build my audit trail and know what record to audit. That is my unique key.

What i want to know what if 2 users add a record at the same time by any chance, will the select last_insert_id fetch the right record id, by user.

Just need to make sure that won't cause a problem in the future even tho the chances of that happening is slim.

bjsteyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:38 AM   #2
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,655 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is LAST_INSERT_ID mysql user specific?

As far as I'm aware access doesn't have an last_insert_id() function, so I would agree that it's a MySQL specific thing.

If you use a DAO you can use the following
Code:
Private Sub Test192674914368()
    Dim lastID As Long
    With CurrentDb
        With .CreateQueryDef("", _
            "INSERT INTO tblSchoolWorkingDays " & _
                "( CALENDAR_DATE ) " & _
            "VALUES " & _
                "( [prm0] )")
            .Parameters(0) = Date
            .Execute dbFailOnError
            .Close
        End With
        lastID = .OpenRecordset("SELECT @@IDENTITY").Fields(0)
    End With
End Sub
Blatantly stolen from here https://www.access-programmers.co.UK...mp;postcount=8

It's important that you use the same database object to get the ID, in the example posted above it uses CurrentDb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough
Re: Is LAST_INSERT_ID mysql user specific?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsteyn View Post
Just got a query i'm inserting records into a table the an auto counter primary key lets say its called ID.

After i insert a record i fetch the new unique ID created with SELECT last_insert_id() FROM mytable to build my audit trail and know what record to audit. That is my unique key.

What i want to know what if 2 users add a record at the same time by any chance, will the select last_insert_id fetch the right record id, by user.

Just need to make sure that won't cause a problem in the future even tho the chances of that happening is slim.
Hi. I think it would, but it's just a guess. If MySQL is anything like Access, then fetching the last inserted record should be "connection" specific. And since each user would be using a separate connection, I am guessing they won't run into each other. Still, it's just a guess though...

|
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: