Google virus, Gmail page crashes and startup errors popup (1 Viewer)

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
Today, 06:10
Guys and Gals,

I just ran into a number of errors. I recently installed google's gnotifier for gmail and chrome has been on the machine for a week. Tonight now, via my startup services, which gnotify is one of them, I first got this error:

application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)
I got it twice. Then, I got the exact same message, without an accompanying error number, for the avg tray utility for AVG 2011 free edition that I have. After, I started up google chrome and I got:

Whoa! Google chrome has crashed. restart now?
The booting of the browser program alone resulted in the error, time after time, but only after my homepage would load. It would simply freeze up and throw the error.

So I uninstalled both of these apps, ran CCleaner through the registry, restarted the machine and the errors went away. Then, I used FF to check my gmail account and the browser immediately did the same thing after loading my email account page. I have checked 10 other websites with FF and even done some downloads to pinpoint the issue, and it seems to be the gmail page only.

In general, it seems to be a google virus of somekind. I did google it and found plenty of pages talking about the 'initialization' error and the problem being with system32-based permission settings. I also download HijackThis from Trendmicro's site but I don't really know what to make of the report, except to read the "more info" dialog when I press the button. But the permissions finding really hints at the problem being a damn virus, again.

I would really like some thoughts on this if you guys have any. I've seen some recent threads elsewhere about an apparent redirect virus that came from a google source, so I'm wondering if this is related.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom