Windows Timer Event (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 14:09
I am searching for a way to start the Access program automatically at specified times during the day. Does windows have such a feature?

I am not that fluent with the concept of API calling, but I do know that there is a Timer call that can be used. I'm not sure if that is relevant though.

The point I am at right now is opening up Access when the computer boots, via the StartUp folder in the local directory. This accomplishes what I want at that time, but the computer will be on all day long, so I need a process that will automatically open up the program from windows.

This is the last step in a process that I have completely automated (it is for personal, use). The rest of the process involves a startup form, a timer event, and lots of code.

If I can get this "timer" issue with windows solved, that would be great! I appreciate any help you guys can give me with this. Thanks!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:09
I create an MDB that does what I want when it starts then closes itself down. Then I open the MDB from Scheduled Tasks on the appropriate schedule.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Paul, since you're auditing me today again, I will ask another question. ;)

I have been in the task scheduler, but I don't see an option for setting specific times of the day to run the task. All I see are options for repeats in certain time intervals. Where is the option I want, man?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Nevermind Paul.

I think I need to get away from the computer for awhile... :rolleyes:

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Followup question for anyone that can help:

I want to use the task scheduler to open the MDB I have. I use it as a timeclock. I assume that I cannot schedule it to open up on log-in. Am I right? I am actually scared to try it, because if I'm wrong, windows might crash.

I would like to schedule this task as soon as windows boots up, and then again when it is prompted to shut down. How would I go about this? Any suggestions? I do not want to command windows to open up a file when it has already started the shut down process... :confused:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Startup is easy; just put the db in the startup folder. I can't think of a way offhand to trigger it to start when you shut Windows down. I'll ponder it.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yeah, the startup folder is OK Paul, but what happens if someone else logs onto that computer? It is going to record "my time", but I won't be working. See the problem there?

There is an event in the windows task scheduler called "when I log on", and I assume, if you specify that event, windows will automatically memorize what user is logged in at the time that request is made. Is that true?

If it's not, then that task event does me no good whatesoever!

Zaeed

Registered Annoyance
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:09
Straight from windows help:

Setting user credentials

When you create a task, you are asked to provide a user name and a password. This provides a more secure way for you to manage the tasks that run on your computer. Different users of a single computer can each have their own scheduled tasks.

Once a user name is set, another user cannot cancel or delete the task unless the user has the correct permissions.

Notes

You must enter a user name in the Scheduled Task Wizard before you can finish scheduling a task.
If you do not enter a password, an error appears at the end of the wizard telling you that the task might not run. If you leave the password blank and you want the task to run when you are logged on, open the task. On the Task tab, select the Run only if logged on check box. The task will run at its scheduled time when the user who created the task is logged on to the computer.
You can change or set a new password by selecting the Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish check box on the final page of the wizard.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yeah, the startup folder is OK Paul, but what happens if someone else logs onto that computer? It is going to record "my time", but I won't be working. See the problem there?

Can't you put it in YOUR startup folder, not the All Users one?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Straight from windows help:
Thanks Zaeed. I'm really not that lazy, but it sure seems that way, doesn't it? :)
Can't you put it in YOUR startup folder, not the All Users one?
Yes, I can, and did. Thanks.

All problems solved except one: The "shutdown" predicament! Paul, have you pondered that long enough to figure it out? :) I have not come up with a solution yet!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not really, no. Since you're using it as a timer, you could leave it running all day and every X minutes it adds X minutes to your time (or perhaps updates an end time). If Windows is shut down, it will stop adding to your time (or updating the end time).

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
That's OK Paul, that's what I thought. This is out of the question then. I can't do it like this. I'll have to figure out some other way. I can't leave the computer on all the time; it is booted when I arrive at work, and shut down when I leave. That's a fact of life.

I'll just have to figure out another way of ending the process. Thanks anyway!

Zaeed

Registered Annoyance
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:09
the other option would be to create a small background process that runs whenever the computer is on, and simply triggers the actions you want, when you want, depending on username.

i dont know how you do this though, although it would be similar to those update processes that programs like adobe use that just sit there until there is an update to perform

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom