Background Processes at Startup (1 Viewer)

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:38
Have you used the TaskManager or maybe ProcessExplorer to see what programs/processes are taking cpu time while the disk activity is going on?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 08:38
David,

What's the "/f" for? I know what the chkdsk command is in DOS, but what's the switch you are referring?

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 14:38
From MSoft :

When you run the Chkdsk utility program in read-only mode on a volume that uses the NTFS file system,
Chkdsk may not detect corruption in the disk structure.
This behavior can occur if the $logfile data region in the Master File Table is damaged.
To work around this behavior, run Chkdsk with the /f option to reinitialize the $logfile data region
and to correct the corruption problem.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
From MSoft :

When you run the Chkdsk utility program in read-only mode on a volume that uses the NTFS file system,
Chkdsk may not detect corruption in the disk structure.
This behavior can occur if the $logfile data region in the Master File Table is damaged.
To work around this behavior, run Chkdsk with the /f option to reinitialize the $logfile data region
and to correct the corruption problem.
OK, I will try that, and see what happens Rak. Thanks.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
what the heck is the difference between that tool and the WinTasks5 program? They are both from the same company...

Apparently, this analyzes risk as well, which wintasks does not do. Why do I need to know that, I wonder?

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm just playing with them now. Looks like they want money which it not a surprise but not what I thought it would be. I'll keep looking.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
At least one of these programs might let you know what is running and where it comes from.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Wintasks already does that Allan.

And BTW, today I am going to restore the system. And, I didn't tell you something else....I have a very large number of the same error listed in the event log. I was talking to a guy at Best Buy about this and he said that's WAY to many. Apparently, that is the problem, as that would indicate the hard drive trying to complete a task and not being able to. Do you know those error indications very well? I can give you the name and number of it if you want...

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry Adam but not really. I does sound like you are getting closer to the problem though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom