Cardboard VR headsets (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:58
At first, I thought it was an April Fool when I read this email from the Guardian newspaper:
===========================================

Register for your free virtual reality headset today

We want to make virtual reality accessible for all of our readers, which is why we’re giving away free Cardboard virtual reality headsets with the newspaper on Saturday 7 October. Whether it’s living in a solitary confinement or seeing through a baby’s eyes, our VR pieces let you experience things from a different point of view.

Check our list of outlets to see if your retailer will be stocking free headsets with your copy of the paper.

Alternatively, as a thank you for your continued support, all of our subscribers have exclusive access to 1,000 headsets available for pre-order. Demand for these will be high and on a first come first served basis, so be sure to register if your retailer isn’t stocking them.

There will also be a select number of headsets available here on the day of the launch, Saturday 7 October.

This exciting evolution of digital journalism wouldn’t be possible without your continued support.

We hope you enjoy it.

========================================

Still not sure... why?

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 01:58
Isn't this a cardboard mount system for your phone? You download an app that shows a dual image on screen, then mount the phone in the cardboard "glasses," put the "glasses" on your head, and then each eye sees a different image on your phone's screen. Then, as you move around, the phone detects that motion, and shows you a 3d image that changes, but is accurately keyed to your motion. *Poof* Cardboard VR headset.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 01:58
Sounds like the Peril Sensitive sunglasses that shipped with the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy game long ago...

Whether it’s living in a solitary confinement or seeing through a baby’s eyes
makes me suspicious...

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:58
the google cardboard is just that. Its a cardboard headset that you slide your phone into. I havent tried them but I got a gearVR headset as a promotion when i bought my s-7 edge. I must say they are pretty awesome. Its pretty funny to watch someone who is taking a roller coaster ride in them and see them leaning side to side as if it were real. Or flying in the back of a stunt plane you can feel it in your gut as it does a loop.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I got hold of a 3D headset "gearVR" last year, and it wasn't that impressive. Don't get me wrong it was very good, but there was nothing there that I didn't expect or haven't experienced already through the simpler (not 3D) PC interface, it was just a slightly higher level a small step in the right direction.

Then I happened upon something amazing, it was a 3D video especially adapted for the gearVR headset, a video of Patrick Watson playing the piano.

I literally sat there watching him with my mouth open. I watched it 5 or 6 times, each time seeing something new in Patrick's studio flat. I could give you a detailed description of what I saw, but really it would be a spoiler!

Trouble is it's like all toys and gadgets it's on the shelf and I haven't used it for 6 months or more. However having seen this thread I think I will get it down dust it off and have another go as I'd love to see Patrick again. You can see him on YouTube this one is fantastic:-

Patrick Watson - Piano des villes, piano des champs

https://youtu.be/rBfphgabDhU

and this song is brilliant:-
Patrick Watson - Strangers (HQ Audio)
https://youtu.be/BXsZUHUjktA

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Recently saw that the price of the GearVR 360 degree camera is running about $100. I may indulge myself just for kicks.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
One of the guys at work has the full £1000 kit for a VR "room", so you have an area you can actually "walk around" in.

It has external sensors to pick up you body movement on top of the glasses sensors, seeing people play "kill the Zombies in the forest" is genuinely hysterical. And quite tiring for the participant.

One of the guys with vertigo got really frightened when he "walked" to the edge of the grand canyon.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Then I happened upon something amazing, it was a 3D video especially adapted for the gearVR headset, a video of Patrick Watson playing the piano.

I literally sat there watching him with my mouth open.......

This is the Recorded version of the song and this song:-
Patrick Watson - Strangers (HQ Audio)
https://youtu.be/BXsZUHUjktA

From the above Video Comments:-

spacebaged
9 months ago (edited)
There's a virtual reality version of this song (Patrick Watson - Strangers) that can be downloaded in the Oculus store, which can only be accessed by VR devices such as the GearVR and the Oculus Rift. It essentially transports you inside what looks like Patrick Watson's apartment, where he plays a live version of this song on his piano. It really feels like you're in the room with him while he's just jamming out with his dog listening and watching from the side. It feels a lot more personal, and the song he plays (for you) in that clip is quite different from what you've uploaded here. Check it out if you can. I didn't know about Patrick until that clip, but now am a huge fan of his work.
Show less

spacebaged sums up the experience perfectly.... "You are Just there, WITH Patrick, He's playing JUST FOR YOU!!!

If you ever get the chance, see it ...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
My Guardian freebee has arrived.

It is indeed the Google cardboard VR headset that you connect to a phone

There seems to be some interesting looking VR content produced by the Guardian.

Unfortunately you need an iPhone 5S or newer to view it which I don't have.
So at the moment its still in the box!

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
There seems to be some interesting looking VR content produced by the Guardian.
I admit when you said "some interesting looking VR content" i had to google The Guardian just to confirm it was a news site.:rolleyes:

that reminded me of some reaction videos that were making the rounds about people seeing Adult videos in VR for the first time. heres one ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLqVxC6JWIM&vl=en-US

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
hi moke

Not quite what I meant ....:D
However maybe that's a good reason to upgrade my old phone...

You'll have to tell me the best sites to visit;)

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
One of the guys at work has the full £1000 kit for a VR "room", so you have an area you can actually "walk around" in.

It has external sensors to pick up you body movement on top of the glasses sensors, seeing people play "kill the Zombies in the forest" is genuinely hysterical. And quite tiring for the participant.

One of the guys with vertigo got really frightened when he "walked" to the edge of the grand canyon.

OK, where can I buy this £1000 VR room kit? Sounds awesome..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom