Sql server permissions using ad (1 Viewer)

basshead22

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:43
Hello All,

Few Questions!!

I have a front end access database that has linked tables that reside in a SQL Server Database.

I have about 300 + users using the database at any given time.

I want to grant them access to the tables using an Active Directory group which they all reside in at the moment.

I know how to create a login for a group that is not the issue ... the issue or question is do i create the login at the database security level? or at the SQL Server Security level?

Issue/Question #2 What server role or roles can be used without having to give them full access (sysadmin, SA,)etc.....

Any help or guidance is much appreciated!!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:43
You can probably use one of two groups DataReader or DataWriter depending on what your needs are.

You can assign either of them in AD to a user group, and then assign that domain group to the required permission on the SQL server, no need to create individual logins, simply use AD.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:43
I know how to create a login for a group that is not the issue ... the issue or question is do i create the login at the database security level? or at the SQL Server Security level?
I doesn't really matter. Just keep in mind that when viewing the Login, you'll see all Login properties/settings and only a subset of the database user properties/settings. Likewise in the DB, you'll see all DB User properties/settings and only a subset of the Login properties/settings.

You probably need both dialogs to configure all the Login and DB User settings.

Issue/Question #2 What server role or roles can be used without having to give them full access (sysadmin, SA,)etc.....
None! (except public, which is mandatory anyway)

Server Roles are for admin users only. They do not all have "full access", but each of them has more permissions than you would assign to any user in a non-admin role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom