Query Builder deletes unshown (but used!) Field Expressions. Ugh! (1 Viewer)

Glenn Lieding

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:45
Another "handy" feature of the Query Builder is that if you unclick "Show" on a field expression, once you save and close the query Query Builder will delete the field expression "for you".

However, it does this even if there is another, SHOWN field expression that depends on the value of the unshown field expression. Then when you try to run the query, it asks you for the value of the "parameter" that you had been trying to define as a field expression.

Is there any way to get field expressions to be persistent in Query Builder other than showing them?

It's starting to look to me like using chains of field expressions to calculate intermediate values doesn't work very well in Query Builder (see my thread about how they don't work when you convert the query to an append query). But if you could do so, it sure would help to modularize nasty complicated expressions packed into that tiny little edit box.

Here's an example of what I want to do. I want to display "Yes" or "No" in columns based on Boolean expressions (because these display as 0 or -1, which isn't very human-friendly). So I created IIF expression fields (the two on the left) returning "Yes" or "No" based on the other, boolean-valued expression fields (the two on the right, containing complicated expressions (not showing in that tiny box)).

Everything works fine as shown. Now I'd like to uncheck Show on those last two columns, to get those 0's and -1's out of my face. But if I do so, I lose those complicated expressions and the thing doesn't work anymore.
:confused:

Attachments

• QueryBuilderScreen.jpg
    QueryBuilderScreen.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 96

liddlem

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:45
Hi Glen
Have you tried to change the FORMAT that the Yes/No box displays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom