Calculated value invisible until been clicked (1 Viewer)

litpost

Local time
Today, 17:24
We are running Access 2010 runtime on Server 2008 R2 with both FE and BE on it. Each user has own FE copy on Server which is opened from own PC through remote desktop.

After fresh Server restart all goes well for 1-2 weeks. But then some strange behaviour starts:
- values of all calculated fields - whatever, on forms or on reports - disapears. When I click on a field it shows up again. And refresh does not help;
- all condition formats does not show up until I hover the mose on it.

When we restart the Server all comes to normal again. Its very annoying because users thinking data are gone!

I have searched a lot on net but seems it is rare problem and maybe related to some kind of overcaching or something related to time used.
Would be great to hear from you of any help on it.

codeslinger

Local time
Today, 11:24
litpost,
I am having the same issue with some slight variations. I have a SQL Server backend database and Access 2010 FE. Their are 2 servers giving me trouble and they are Win Server 2012 and a third is a 2008 R2 but it is not used as a TS, I only log in to do maintenance. We are also having trouble on some windows 7 computer and at least 1 XP machine.

I have been getting all sorts of suggestions about re-designing the screen and adding Me.Refresh/Repaint but that does not work either.

Today I came across this but have not been able to adequately test, maybe you can give it a try support.microsoft.com/kb/839779

Let me know if you find something.

litpost

Local time
Hi codeslinger,

Thanks for reply. After reading article I would say that it not exactly our case but maybe worth to try.

Recently one good guy on other forum suggested to check box to "clear cache on close". It is located in Options/Current Database at the bottom. I am testing it right now and return with results. But as mentioned it takes few weeks to problem occur.

In the meantime I would point you to thread "access 2010 form fields not calculating until clicked" on social.msdn.microsoft.com (sorry, cannot place the link to it because of forum rules).

I think there is exactly our case with some suggestions at the end. I would like to point to the fact that it happens starting with Access 2010 and does not depend on OS but on time of use OS (or Office?).

Second what I am going to try is ACC2010 runtime update to SP1. Maybe it helps. Anyway I let you know if find something.

codeslinger

Local time
Thanks for pointing out that thread, I forgot about it...kind of embarrassing because I had tried to liven it up with a bump. :)

I will try the cache switch, however I am noticing something, are you saying that you do not have SP1 installed? How about SP2? I am fairly certain that the computers I am having trouble with have SP2 installed.

I "think" that the computers I am having trouble with have Access Runtime with SP2 installed. I am going to test what happens when I roll back to SP1. Will let you know.

litpost

Local time
We have installed ACC2010 runtime one year ago and have not updated it until now. Product ver. 14.0.7006.1000. It is pity to hear that SP does not help to solve it.

I am also thinking it is not related to the system design. Each user has own FE copy and all individual copies are on Server. And just to point already said not only calculated fields leaves blank but also Conditional Formating is hanging up. It does not show a format (leaves unformatted) until I hover the mouse on a field. Looks like some kind of bug.

codeslinger

Local time
litpost,
I noticed something when I turned on the "Clear cache on close", it wanted to compact the database...without asking. I am not quite sure I like that but it gave me an idea. What if you would do a /compact and a /repair on the FE.

A fellow suggested that on the LinkedIn forum that I posted this question on...actually he suggested a decompile but this is on an accde so that wouldn't have applied.

I don't have a server or workstation acting up at the moment and so I can't test my theory.

Access command line switches can be found here: support.microsoft.com/kb/209207

litpost

Local time
Thanks for suggestion but it is already done. I always decompile/repair FE when issue new version of it. The link of application user clicks actualy points to VBScript file and the script makes copy of fresh decompiled accdb file every time user launch the application. So in this way user always have decompiled vertion. I know that it is important to decompile accdb but here it is not the case.

And by the way there were no suggested by Access to decompile the file when I checked "Clear cache on close". Maybe because of it was already decompiled.

codeslinger

Local time
Good point, the reason I notice the compact operation when closing the file is because we use Team Foundation Server for our development and everytime the file gets compacted it asks if you want to remove it from source code control and when I closed it, I got that pop-up. So it must be triggering the compact somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom