Set Record Source using a string in VBA (1 Viewer)

jlb4350

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:51
Set SourceObject using a string in VBA

Good day all. I have an issue that you might be able to help me with. I've searched the forum and have tried several suggestions that I thought were similar to my issue, but they did not work...leaving me to believe that my issue is either unique, of I've simply done something wrong from the start.

I have a form that has a ComboBox (cboFieldTableList), a SubForm (fsubFieldDataEditor), and a button (btnProcess). The ComboBox is displaying a simple text list from a table, and there is VB code that matches the text in the combobox with a corresponding query. What I'd like to happen is for the subform to display the correct query information when the button is clicked based on what is selected in the combobox. Below is a copy of my code. I get the compile error on this line:
Code:
Me!fsubFieldDataEditor.Form.SourceObject = strForm

Any suggestions how I can get this to work? Thank you in advance for your time and expertise!

Code:
Private Sub Form_Load()
    ' Wipes the subform clean upon form load
    Me.fsubFieldDataEditor.SourceObject = ""
End Sub

Private Sub btnProcess_Click()
Dim strForm As String

If Me.cboFieldTableList = "Change Type" Then
  strForm = "qryFIELD_ChangeType"
ElseIf Me.cboFieldTableList = "Description" Then
  strForm = "qryFIELD_Description"
  Else: MsgBox "Please make a selection from the list."
  Exit Sub
End If

Me!fsubFieldDataEditor.Requery

End Sub

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:51
Your post was moderated which is why it didn't appear initially
I've deleted the duplicate post you created

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Was there any error message like method not found or syntax error?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:51
My guess is that you can't assign a string where an object is expected. Sure would have helped to know more about the message and/or highlighted portion. Usually, you'd create an object variable, not a string, and SET the variable by passing the name of the object. If you use a string variable, then you have to assign it to the property that can accept a string, which would be .Name but in this case, I don't think that would work as you'd be attempting to alter/set its name, not specify what the object should be.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 13:51
Do you want to change the data in a form or do you want to change the form showing in the fsubFieldDataEditor container?
If data then it is RecordSource instead of SourceObject!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:51
Do you want to change the data in a form or do you want to change the form showing in the fsubFieldDataEditor container?
If data then it is RecordSource instead of SourceObject!
Good point! I think we've assumed it was the sourceobject because that's in the code. But it now looks like the code is trying to assign a query to the sourceobject.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:51
Subform container control can have a table, query, form, report as SourceObject. So programmatically setting the SourceObject to a string which is the name of an object should work. I just tested this and it works for table and form but not query.

However, since the thread title references RecordSource, either code is referencing wrong property or the title is mistyped.

Last edited:

jlb4350

Registered User.
Local time
Re: Set SourceObject using a string in VBA

Hi. Was there any error message like method not found or syntax error?
Here is the error I get:
Run-time error 2467: The expression you entered refers to an object that is closed or doesn't exist.

Regarding what i'd like to achieve, I would like for the subform to display the complete contents of a query (or table) when I click the button so that users can edit the table without leaving the form or having another tab open up.

I don't write code often, so I'm still learning which references to put in. I assumed it was SourceObject because I thought that whatever is in the SourceObject field would be what is reflected in the subform...my apologies if I'm incorrect. These chats really help me learn though, so thank you all for your contribution.

I've also tried this code (to call a table rather than a query) and i get the same error:

Code:
Private Sub btnProcess_Click()
Dim strForm As String

If Me.cboFieldTableList = "Change Type" Then
  strForm = "tblFIELD_ChangeType"
ElseIf Me.cboFieldTableList = "Description" Then
  strForm = "tblFIELD_Description"
  Else: MsgBox "Please make a selection from the list."
  Exit Sub
End If

End Sub

I'm trying to use a string because I don't want the ComboBox to display the actual names of the tables. I was hoping that when the button was clicked it would work like this (for example):

** Since "Change Type" is selected in cboFieldTableList, strForm is "tblFIELD_ChangeType". Therefore, the SourceObject for fsubFieldDataEditor should be "tblFIELD_ChangeType".** If I'm doing this wrong, please let me know...

I changed the title btw to hopefully better reflect the contents of the post.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Could you post your database, with some sample data, zip it + the name of the form.

jlb4350

Registered User.
Local time
Could you post your database, with some sample data, zip it + the name of the form.

sure. this is just a sample, but if you open the form frmFieldDataEditor and choose one of the options from the dropdown and click the button, you'll see the error.

I also removed the code that clears the subform because that seems to be working fine

Attachments

• Database1.zip
    35.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Here is the database back.
I've added a new "form" which update automatic when the combobox change, the other is corrected to what you wrote you would like to have.

Attachments

• Database121.accdb
    444 KB · Views: 109

jlb4350

Registered User.
Local time
Here is the database back.
I've added a new "form" which update automatic when the combobox change, the other is corrected to what you wrote you would like to have.

Brilliant! That did the trick!! I really appreciate your time, this works perfectly now!

I see my mistake. I needed to make
Code:

to

Code:
strForm = "table.tblFIELD_Description"

Thank you again and thanks to everyone else who replied!

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Interesting, worked for me without the table prefix.

jlb4350

Registered User.
Local time
Interesting, worked for me without the table prefix.

Yea, it started working when I put those prefixes in. I'm actually kind of shocked that I was as close as I was. I'll need the afterupdate code elsewhere in the database, so thanks for offering the two solutions.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
I see my mistake. I needed to make
Code:
to

Code:
strForm = "table.tblFIELD_Description"
That was one thing but you also need to change:
Code:
Me!fsubFieldDataEditor.[B][COLOR=Red]Form.[/COLOR][/B]SourceObject = strForm
To:
Code:
Me.fsubFieldDataEditor.SourceObject = strForm

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Agree about removing the .Form. I just noticed it there in the original code. Don't see how that can work even with the Table prefix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom