Copyright, Trademark & Intellectual Property (1 Viewer)

MayoRR5

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:25
Hi guys, I've been doing some research into this and the possibility of turning it into a business and I'm looking for a second opinion.

Quick backdrop. I developed a database for the company I'm working over 10 years in MS Access and with cloud now becoming a better alternative for growth, it will need to be re-written for SQL and ASP.

The intellectual property of the original Access database belongs to the company, as it was created within the work environment for my job.

My question is, if I re-write the database for SQL (with a few modifications for better execution of data, queries, etc.) is this considered a new database?

I am looking at putting it in Azure but the current database isn't structured properly to be "sent straight up to the cloud".

My opinion would be, that it's an entirely new database and therefore is covered by a different copyright / IP.

Thanks in advance guys,
Shaun

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 09:25
It IS a different database. (SQL)
But the front end app is the same.
Instead of diesel fuel, the car now uses gasoline.

MayoRR5

Registered User.
Local time
Cheers Ranman.

That was my thinking anyway. I'll totally redesigning the front end as it's going to be more visually driven, rather than filling out forms constantly.

Shaun

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
just don't do the work in company time, otherwise your work will become their property

MayoRR5

Registered User.
Local time
Noted CJ. That was step 1 in a dummies guide haha

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:25
It remains a grey area while you are employed by the company.

Get a clearance in writing from your employer.

MayoRR5

Registered User.
Local time
To be honest, I'm probably leaving the company as we got a new Director and he's trying to claim ownership of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom