Iceland's Pirates fly the Jolly Rodger skull and crossbones (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 20:41
Iceland’s Pirates head for power on wave of public anger
Story: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-iceland-election-idUKKCN11Z1RV

The Pirate Party has found a formula that has eluded many anti-establishment groups across Europe. It has tempered polarising policies like looser copyright enforcement rules and drug decriminalisation with pledges of economic stability that have won confidence among voters.

If the Pirates emerge as the biggest party in an Oct. 29 parliamentary election - as opinion polls suggest - they will deliver another defeat to Europe's mainstream politicians.
The rise to power of a party as a protest movement against global copyright laws, and whose election campaign is partly crowdfunded, would create shockwaves felt far beyond this island of 336,000 people on the edge of the Arctic Circle.
"Across Europe ... increasingly many people think that the system that is supposed to look after them is not doing it anymore," - Reuters

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:41
The fatal flaw in most democratic, republic, or authoritarian regimes is that the people who run them are invariably human ... and constantly prove it. Greed, lust, and the irresistible lure of power for the sake of power (shades of Machiavelli) all drive the election processes where it exists, or drive out the election process where dictators hold sway.

It is this exact situation that leads to disaffected voters. It is also the reason why I am still in favor of gun rights even though the headlines tell us of so many gun WRONGS. It is because the USA is pretty much the only country founded on the idea that if a given government gets too extreme, we have the right to take them down. Preferentially through ballots, but if necessary through bullets. Zeus forfend that it gets so far, but in essence this country retains the right to get rid of its current government by any means necessary.

The Pirate Party in Iceland is merely an attempt to replace the objectionable part of a government through ballots. I wish them luck.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 20:41
Was considering sending the Pirate Party in Iceland a $10 USD donation.
Wondering what kind of blowback our own government might have when they ID me as some classification or another?
Heck, maybe I will just fly there in May 2017 and buy the Tshirt.
Assuming travel is permitted after our election.
keep yer eye out fer a ship crew in New Orleans in case we need t' secretly travel past th' authorities. Ships be rare here in Denver

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 03:41
Zeus forfend that it gets so far, but in essence this country retains the right to get rid of its current government by any means necessary.
I suspect that right only applies if you are successful. I don't think you could claim it after an unsuccessful attempt to change the government by force

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:41
Rabbie: Sad but true. On the other hand, if you used force and failed, there is good chance there would be nothing left for trial.

But then we mustn't forget that history is written by the winners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom