Group on first letter (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:43
I am very curious, and would really like to know why this happened. Any ideas?

I have no real knowledge about it except my experience and things I've picked up over the years.

I've noticed that if I have some code which causes errors, and I run it many times to try and sort out where the error is, then this seems to breed problems.

Whenever I have a situation like this and it's often once a day, I will copy everything into a new database.

This is the only way that I am happy with, I'm pretty sure everything will move on nicely after doing that.

Now, you can make this very easy for yourself by having what is often termed a "Boilerplate Database".

Set up a brand new, clean database, set the forms to the style you want, set compact on close, if you want that, go into the references and set the references you need. Basically set this boiler plate database up just how are you want it.

Now whenever you have even the slightest hint of a problem, make a copy of this boilerplate, then copy all of your tables, forms, modules, queries, reports, everything into this new database and carry on from there.

The simplistic way of thinking about this problem you can have with MS Access is that MS Access makes periodic copies of itself as you are working. Think of them as layers, one layer might be when you created a form, another layer might be when you added some code to it, another layer might be when you changed that code. I've no idea of the mechanism really, it's just a way I've heard of thinking about it. Then what can happen I understand, is that you can get cross-contamination between these layers. So code that you have deleted, or have changed or something can then; from its sort of shadow existence in one of these layers affect your current version.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:43
Sounds reasonable and certainly as good an explanation as any as to why I experienced corruption many times during early stages of db development.

WysBolo

Local time
Today, 11:43
I like the idea of the "power of the forum". May the forum be with you all. And copy into new databases regularly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom