Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 15:49
Col, we care. But sometimes we don't cry in public. Too many emotion-pandering journalists out there for us to wear our hearts on our sleeves.

Ok, I'll give you that. But not the crocodile tears from Trump, all he thinks about is the millions of dollars given to his campaign by the NRA so guns are good.

Col

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 08:49
So I have to wonder.... If it is already illegal to commit murder, it is illegal to use a firearm outside of an area authorized to use it, and illegal for the shooter in Texas to own a firearm, what further restrictions would have helped?

Maybe prohibiting anyone from Europe from communicating with anyone in America? Maybe prohibiting anyone from driving? Maybe prohibiting anyone who's been convicted of a crime from going within 500m of a church?

I am grateful for one thing, the neighbors responded quickly. If the local populace was unarmed, those who live adjacent to the church would not have been armed and would not have been able to prevent further deaths.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:49
Mark, add to that question this little tid-bit: Because of his dishonorable discharge from the military and a mental-health note on his record (related to said discharge), the shooter was rejected by local gun shops when he tried to legally purchase his weapons. Which means he got his guns illegally. So THAT restriction didn't stop him either.

At what point do you recognize that human nature is going to bypass ALL roadblocks when someone gets a crazy idea in his/her head? You can't stop this with laws. You can't stop this with procedures. Crazy is as crazy does, and when you are dealing with a true whack-a-doodle, they will go to crazy extremes.

It also seems from the evidence that there MIGHT have been a revenge element against his ex-wife and her family (who were parishioners of that church). But they happened to not be in services that day. Are we going to outlaw divorce from a mentally unstable man? I can't see that, either.

And finally, if he was mentally out of balance, do we have the right to hold him before he actually does something extreme? Because like it or not, NONE of us are perfectly sane. We all have our breaking points. But UNTIL we break, we also have rights. It is the worst of all dilemmas.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I should imagine that it is as easy as taking candy from a baby to get an illegal gun in the USA.

There is no answer to these everyday mass shootings. It's well known that most Americans are having some therapy of some sort, maybe that's an indication of the state of mind in the USA.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I retract one statement. The shooter in the Texas church massacre SHOULD have had a felony on his record (from the case that cause his Dishonorable Discharge) but did not, so he WAS able to get guns through a legal channel. I believe in technical terms that the failure to correctly place a felony conviction on his record is called a "screw-up" or maybe the correct term involves "F" words.

The news outlet I watched retracted the "gun purchase rejected" story after further investigation.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I had to smile the other day. The BBC interviewed an eyewitness to this church killing thing. It was a man in his 30's I'd guess, and he was actually wearing a cowboy hat. Can you believe it? He looked really stupid.

I know JR Ewing did in Dallas but I assumed that was just for TV.

Is it normal attire? If so, why? I looks like a relic from Wyatt Earp days.

Col

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 11:49
I retract one statement. The shooter in the Texas church massacre SHOULD have had a felony on his record (from the case that cause his Dishonorable Discharge) but did not, so he WAS able to get guns through a legal channel. I believe in technical terms that the failure to correctly place a felony conviction on his record is called a "screw-up" or maybe the correct term involves "F" words.

The news outlet I watched retracted the "gun purchase rejected" story after further investigation.

From what I read, the AF didn’t want to add insult to injury and therefore did not report his crimes to civilian authorities. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. Wonder if someone would like to have that decision back...

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:49
I had to smile the other day. The BBC interviewed an eyewitness to this church killing thing. It was a man in his 30's I'd guess, and he was actually wearing a cowboy hat. Can you believe it? He looked really stupid.

I know JR Ewing did in Dallas but I assumed that was just for TV.

Is it normal attire? If so, why? I looks like a relic from Wyatt Earp days.

Col

I suggest you check out the clothing of Wyatt Earp and the American West in general.

You seem to be at your most active when it comes to posting when the subject is something on which you have no knowledge with guns and American West being just two examples.

I think quite a few of you English people are irritated by the fact you sent the convicts to Australia when you should have left them in England and the rest came to Australia. Is there really over 60 million people living on that tiny bit of land??

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Col, right after Hurricane Katrina took New Orleans apart, I was assigned to work in our offices in Fort Worth, Texas (west of Dallas). The "cowboy" hat was absolutely commonplace. In fact, there is a business district called the "Stockyards" in town where if you are NOT wearing a cowboy hat, you instantly identify yourself as a full-blooded tourist.

Yes, I had such a hat. It was cheap so it didn't last that long - but it lasted longer than my assignment to Fort Worth. I also had the obligatory cowboy boots. In my case, I found some very comfortable "ropers" (it's a boot style) - which I still have, because they are practical when the New Orleans weather gets chilly.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
...You seem to be at your most active when it comes to posting when the subject is something on which you have no knowledge with guns and American West being just two examples....

And the hits just keep,on coming!

Attachments

• EDBB6E9F-CFEB-4F8E-9167-841A3B05C197.jpeg
    EDBB6E9F-CFEB-4F8E-9167-841A3B05C197.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 153

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A very eloquent statement, and it is quite true.

I would add to the gentleman's comments that we only have rights for the amount of time that our government recognizes them. Consider the rights of people in China (see: Tiannanmen Square) or the treatment of gays and Christians in Islamic nations that use Sharia as the basis for their "civil" laws.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As the left takes away more of my rights, they are just too stupid to recognize that those were their rights too:(

The video after that one was Ben Shapiro's blog and even though it is about abortion, also makes sense in this context and is very funny.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I should imagine that it is as easy as taking candy from a baby to get an illegal gun in the USA.

There is no answer to these everyday mass shootings. It's well known that most Americans are having some therapy of some sort, maybe that's an indication of the state of mind in the USA.

Col
Sometimes, it isn't a mass shooting, but nonetheless, it is a shooting that gets headlines.

The headline is from Liverpool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom