Moving data query or linking tables? (1 Viewer)

Daemetius

Local time
Today, 12:25
Hello all,

I have a problem where I have two databases. One is split and the other is not. Both of these have a Form which users use to look up data or insert data. Is there a way to link the forms to the back-end of the split database so you have two forms pointing to the same place? This case being the split front end form and the non split form pointing to the split database back end.

What's the best way to go about this? Users from both database can't see what the other inserted or modified, so trying to make them both look at the same tables is what I'm trying to do.

Thank you

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 10:25
Yes, simply make all the forms you want to use the same table....use the same table. Link it in all the databases that have the form and use it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:25
If the users need to share data, BOTH databases need to be split. That allows them to share a common BE.

Obviously the split and unsplit databases have at least one table in common. If you don't split the second db, you are going to have to either have two copies of the common table - one linked, one local that will have different names. How's that going to work for you? Not well is the answer. If you have any RI established, that will break if now one of the tables is linked but not the others.

Daemetius

Local time
Yes, simply make all the forms you want to use the same table....use the same table. Link it in all the databases that have the form and use it.

There is one issue and that is that I am not able to edit the form as I was not the person who designed the forms and the database overall. At least the file that I was given, I don't seem to have any options where I can play around in the forms.

Is this due to permission or is there an option that disabled this?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Always make a copy of a database you need to dig around in.
Hold down the shift key whill opening the app. This should open the database without running any AutoExec macro or opening form. You should then have design access to objects.

If the database is an .mde or .accde, you MUST acquire the original .mdb or .accdb otherwise you will never be able to change any objects.

Daemetius

Local time
Always make a copy of a database you need to dig around in.
Hold down the shift key whill opening the app. This should open the database without running any AutoExec macro or opening form. You should then have design access to objects.

If the database is an .mde or .accde, you MUST acquire the original .mdb or .accdb otherwise you will never be able to change any objects.

Is it easier to make a query to append data from one database table?

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Easier, maybe but it doesn't solve your sharing problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom