Error : "The database has been placed in a state by user <name> on machine <name> (1 Viewer)

cheer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:40
Error : "The database has been placed in a state by user <name> on machine <name>

After reading the link, http://www.source-code.biz/snippets/vbasic/10.htm , I am still facing problem intermittent having the error

"The database has been placed in a state by user <name> on machine <name> that prevents it from being opened or locked"

Can anyone suggest something for the MS Access 2016 ?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 03:40
Re: Error : "The database has been placed in a state by user <name> on machine <name>

You just need to close the app you want to copy from.
If it is closed, check that the laccdb lock file doesn't still exist.
If it does delete it.
You might have to do this in task manager.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Re: Error : "The database has been placed in a state by user <name> on machine <name>

what code are you executing, perhaps connection?

cheer

Registered User.
Local time

what code are you executing, perhaps connection?

Yes. Through ADO connection.

arnelgp

Local time

split your db and give each fe to each user.

cheer

Registered User.
Local time

Are you saying the DB size is too big ?

arnelgp

Local time

connectio cannot be shared if multiple users are using your db.

cheer

Registered User.
Local time

What FE do you mean at here ?

cheer

Registered User.
Local time

connectio cannot be shared if multiple users are using your db.

Sometimes connection just work without problem. Intermittent is OK.

What is the best way to split?

arnelgp

Local time

fist make a copy of your db (backup).
you split your database by going to Database Tools
in Ribbon.
then on Move Data Group->Access Database.
after splitting, you'll have another database, yourDBName_BE.accdb
this file you will put in shared folder.
after putting the BE to shared folder,
run FE, select External Data from Ribbon.
Select Linked Table Manager.
Select all tables.
Check: Always prompt for a new location.
you may copy the FE as many as you like
and distribute it the each users.
Every users should have access to the Shared Folder
where your BE (backend) resides.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:40

Cheer, your answers make me think you have not run into the "split database" topic before this.

When you share a database among multiple users, you incur a lot of file locks and a lot of (for lack of a better term) usage collisions. I.e. users interfere with each other.

The strategy to minimize this (you can't eliminate it) is to split the database into a front-end and a back-end, which we lovingly shorten to FE and BE. All of the tables and their relationships go into the BE. Everything else (queries, forms, reports, macros, modules) goes into the FE. Then everybody gets a private copy of the FE. You put the BE on a server or dedicated workstation that will be available during all hours when your users are using whatever you've got. The "public" copy of the FE that everyone copies to their individual machines is set up so that it points to the tables in the BE using Linked Table Manager.

By splitting, you do a couple of useful things.

1. Since everybody has a copy of the FE file and it is separate from the BE, nobody runs into file lock conflicts on anything in the FE. All FE locks are private because the FE is private. Opening a form or report opens a local copy on your hard drive so that part is as fast to read as is possible.

2. Since the BE is now smaller, and remembering that "native" Access is a file-oriented database as opposed to a "transaction records only" database, that smaller file means smaller data transfers. Further, if you use queries carefully, it is possible to design a system in which you tell the FE that its queries are either "Optimistic" or "None" in terms of locking style. (You use "None" only on read-only/lookup operations.) By doing this, you reduce (not eliminate) the amount of time that the BE is "in a state." And since the FE isn't shared, it will NEVER be "in a state" because all structural data is PRIVATE.

This forum has a virtual TON of articles on splitting a database and on front-end or back-end issues. I suggest you hit the "search" function in the blue ribbon at the top of the page and do some reading.

cheer

Registered User.
Local time

My BE is SQL Server, of course the basic understanding is the linked tables.

I have other Access tables locate at same place as other objects such as queries, forms, reports, macros, module. Those tables are designed for management report usage.

Now, the problem occur mainly from the Access tables. Let me split them out and share with you all later the output.

incywincyspider

Local time
Today, 04:40

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. My database is split, I can't see any lock files. Whatever was done before this started happening works. But when I go to design mode and try to add any control, the error pops out. The FE is on my private computer, so I'm the only user. The same happens if I copy BE locally and connect to it. I'm using Access 2010. Right now I'm spending way more time opening and closing my DB than actually working on it :-(. It does make me close the laptop the other way around sometimes.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:40

I wonder if "user <name> on machine <name> " has opened the database exclusively or has something open in design mode.

arnelgp

Local time

make sure you grant full access to the BE folder. Full control, read and writr, etc. also configure the be so it is opened in Shared mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom